windshield

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

wacky

windshield

Post by wacky »

When on the phone with a windshield replacement place, what size is the glass and how much should it cost?
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Zack
The best thing for you to do is call Glass America on Colfax Ave.
The manager Rob (ask for him by name ) has a Pinz so he will understand what you are talking about.

The cost will be between $95 to $125 depending upon certain factors like shape/adjustment etc.

Cheers
Dennis
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

It may be a bit more since glass prices fluctuate with the cost of energy to produce them :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I had a glass place cut me a flat piece of "lami" auto glass to fit the frame. I did however bring in the old cracked windshield for them to use as a template. It cost me $135.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Funny that this topic is showing up now.
For the last month or so, I've been arranging to have AS1 and DOT labeled tinted windshields made for the 710/12s (716/18s are different). At the same time, I will be having tinted side glasses made, and for the Mog community, complete tinted glass sets for the 1300 (SBU) Mogs ( these were the people that pushed me :D ).

Tinted Pinz windshields will be $140. I will post pricing for all the other piece as soon as I have them.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ktmkirk
United States of America

Side windows needed for my Pinz

Post by ktmkirk »

David, How soon could you have some side windows made, and can they be shipped to Ohio? I recently rolled my Pinz and broke out the driverside windows. If it is going to be a while, I may have to go to my local Glass shop. Thanks for your time...Kirk

[quote="David Dunn"]Funny that this topic is showing up now.
For the last month or so, I've been arranging to have AS1 and DOT labeled tinted windshields made for the 710/12s (716/18s are different). At the same time, I will be having tinted side glasses made, and for the Mog community, complete tinted glass sets for the 1300 (SBU) Mogs ( these were the people that pushed me :D ).

Tinted Pinz windshields will be $140. I will post pricing for all the other piece as soon as I have them.

Dave Dunn[/quote]
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

David Dunn wrote:Funny that this topic is showing up now.

Dave Dunn
You can count on a sale for me Dave. I still haven't replaced the death glass I have in my rig...
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I am currently waiting to make a pattern for a 1300, and I'll be placeing an order for a quanitity of windshields for both.
I hope to have prices for the tempered side glasses tomorrow and be able to proceed with them as well.

Kirk, a local glass shop should be able to have glass cut to pattern, then tempered for the door glass. I wouldn't have them cut laminated for this installation. Holes in laminated glass will drastically increase the chance of the glass cracking. One other thing to know. most tempering and laminateing companies do not have certification for DOT labels. An important issue for me to offer this the the Pinzgauer, Unimog and Haflinger communities ( though I'm not puttting tinted glass in my Haffies).

And for anyone intending to attend the Clinic at my shop June 3rd, windshields installation can be arranged as part of the day. Just let me know, so I can be sure of stock.

Dave Dunn
DSD Glass
4173 Live Oak Ave
Arcadia, CA

ktmkirk
United States of America

pinz glass

Post by ktmkirk »

Thanks for the info David, The local glass guy will be looking at what I need on Wednesday, I still may get a set from you and just have him install them for me if he cannot come up with something, I may just replace the one broken side so I can still enjoy driving my Pinz if the glass guy can comeup with something , and once I know I can get glass from you order a set to replace everything(windsheild and both sides ) with the 'Good" glass, Thanks again for all of your efforts ....Kirk

[quote="David Dunn"]I am currently waiting to make a pattern for a 1300, and I'll be placeing an order for a quanitity of windshields for both.
I hope to have prices for the tempered side glasses tomorrow and be able to proceed with them as well.

Kirk, a local glass shop should be able to have glass cut to pattern, then tempered for the door glass. I wouldn't have them cut laminated for this installation. Holes in laminated glass will drastically increase the chance of the glass cracking. One other thing to know. most tempering and laminateing companies do not have certification for DOT labels. An important issue for me to offer this the the Pinzgauer, Unimog and Haflinger communities ( though I'm not puttting tinted glass in my Haffies).

And for anyone intending to attend the Clinic at my shop June 3rd, windshields installation can be arranged as part of the day. Just let me know, so I can be sure of stock.

Dave Dunn
DSD Glass
4173 Live Oak Ave
Arcadia, CA[/quote]
rl dietz

windshield

Post by rl dietz »

David , I am in need of a new windshield, we have discussed this before at jim's I think.. so put me down for 1 front windshield. I am planning to attend your clinic so we can arrange to install and make payment as soon as you want to .thank you. randy dietz san clemente,ca.
74 710 m in southern calif
73 710 m in costa rica
79 u1300l unimog,in costa rica
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Kirk, Randy
I will be finalizing the windshields and side glasses tomorrow, and am looking to have them for the June 3rd clinic/gathering.

The set of front 4 door solex glass will be $208.
The K's rear side and back doors ( 5 pieces) $228

These are fob Arcadia.

Dave Dunn

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Dave,

Are you going to bring along your forklift to install the windshields? :roll:

-Evan
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Evan

You wouldn't realize how invaluable the forklift is in the removal of the windshields and door glasses..... a quick jab, and pull. :lol:

btw I just learn this....a forklift can be handy to unload the crates the glass comes in off the truck :wink:

Dave Dunn

ktmkirk
United States of America

4 glass panes needed for 710M

Post by ktmkirk »

David,
I would like to get the glass to replace the 4 windows in my Pinz 710M,2 for the drivers side and 2 for the passenger side. Would these be pre drilled to attached the handles and are they the green tint safety type windows. Since I am in Ohio I cannot attend your clinic but I will have my local glass guy install them for me. Let me know How I can pay you and arrange shipping etc. you can email directly with the information to ktmkirk@cris.com Thanks...Kirk

[quote="David Dunn"]Kirk, Randy
I will be finalizing the windshields and side glasses tomorrow, and am looking to have them for the June 3rd clinic/gathering.

The set of front 4 door solex glass will be $208.
The K's rear side and back doors ( 5 pieces) $228

These are fob Arcadia.

Dave Dunn[/quote]
PinzEOD

Re: 4 glass panes needed for 710M

Post by PinzEOD »

[quote="ktmkirk"]<snip>but I will have my local glass guy install them for me<snip>
Just so you know...to change out that side glass, all you need to do is remove those bolts along the lower window channel. It's easier even than changing a tire.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc