snow chains

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

krick3tt

snow chains

Post by krick3tt »

It is really great that the Swiss take such good care of their vehicles and leave the tools in them when they are sold. I was trying out the chains today and noticed that they do not fit my 255/16 mud terrain tires. Can't seem to get them over the lug pattern and of course they are too small to go arount the 33 inch tire. The bag says 245/16. Is there a dependable way to add links to the OEM chains. The originals are welded and really are sturdy.

Cheers,
Morris 710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

add 2 to 3 quick links to each chain :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Tony

Post by Tony »

This is an especially timely post, particularly for those that live in the frigid perputally snow packed areas of Southern California.

I used to live in Borrego Springs, Ca. and, I can't count the times that a good set of serviceable tire chains saved the night for me. The Iron Door Saloon in Ocotillo Wells is only 23 miles from Borrego, and famous for late night chain swinging contests.

I quickly discovered that if I got a good firm grip on the chains, and then started swinging really fast and hard, it would keep the other contestants away long enough for me to get to the shotguns and pistols I had stashed in the Pinz.

After peace was restored, I would drive away not seriously harmed, with a clear sense of having once again, done the right thing.

However I must admit that I have never needed more than one set of chains. I sold the other three sets of chains to two extensively tattooed women that seemed extremely eager to use them as jewelry items.

I had, up until that time, never seen such extremely large women wearing nothing but Pinzgauer tire chains. I am pretty sure it made the papers, somewhere.
krick3tt

snow chains

Post by krick3tt »

thanks jim,
I will see if NAPA can supply.

Tony,
I have also seen them used by vertically challanged individuals to remove the dollar bills fastened to the ceiling at the Iron Door to augment their bar tabs. It is best done by first throwing a bar of soap into the room and offering to go in to remove the offending item while everyone is outside still suffering from shock.

Cheers
Tony

Post by Tony »

I think I might remember you. In fact I think you are the guy that spilled diet coke ( who knows, your wife might be reading this ) on some of my friends Harleys. I didn't think you would be out of the hospital this soon, hell it was only 2 years ago.

Were you the guy with the 3 girl friends that all had really big hooters with tattoos of Laurel and Hardy on the left one? I think her name was either Jake or Trixy, anyway she had really short purple and blue hair, and a shaved head too.

She is the one that bought a set of chains from me. She was a little short of money,and luckly for me she was generous enough to offer a private non cash trade off.

You are one lucky guy, Jake/ Trixy is a quality girl! She isn't bashful either.

These days I only come up to Borrego in the winter. Baja however is now a much more understanding place, especialy when off the beaten path.

Have you ever been to Mike's Sky Ranch in Baja? I recommend it.

Tell Mike you know me. That will get his attention. Fast.
krick3tt

snow chains

Post by krick3tt »

Tony,
We really need to take this to the chat forum as it is getting personal and has more Harley talk than Pinz talk.

Jake, as she prefers to be called now (she dropped the Trixy part after the procedure), has informed me that now she has found out where you are she is leaving me. Aparently you were one macho dude and she has not been able to forget that special trade, or you. She even had me weld a charm on the chains that she wears constantly and I thought the huge 'T' was for tempered.
I have sworn off diet drinks although liquids are all I am able to consume now, and it is very difficult to breathe even after the Harley tailpipe was removed. Two years goes really fast when you are in a coma.

I begged her to wait till winter when you will be back but you know how she is. Jake will be getting a one way ticket after she knocks a few more dollars off the ceiling. If you want her back as Trixy you can foot the bill for the trip to Denmark, I paid for the first one with the extra cash from the insurance settlement. It was worth it.

I wish you all the luck, and you should really up the premium on your long term care insurance.

Cheers