Rotation direction on radials?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Twin Pinzies

Rotation direction on radials?

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I know that when rotating radial tires, you should keep them on the same side of the vehicle. What I want to know is why and how bad is it to put a tire on the other side? My tires got mixed together by mistake while I had them all removed at the same time.
The tires are a year old and have been (and will continue to be) used off road 90% of the time.
After mounting them randomly, I didn't notice any difference in sound or handling on one of my 710 M's.
Should I really worry about this?
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I do not believe that it is as important as it used to be. Just look at recapped tires that are on most of the trucks running out there on the roads. There is no way to tell which way the tire was mounted before it was recapped. When they come back from the recapping plant they are installed onto the rim and put back into service. The laws of averages say that around half are mounted to spin the other direction. If this process is used on heavy duty trucks that cary much more of a load, I would assume that you will be fine. Just my thoughts and I have been around class 8 trucks for the last 20 years.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

I have to agree with Wayne.

We have randomly mounted tyres on Pinzguers that have that have been mixed up from take offs. Our only observance is to make sure that if a direction arrow is present that you observe it. I think what is more important is to switch the tyre on the rim to even wear on the carcass flanks.

Going back to big trucks and trailers for a moment a reputable recap/remould on a serviceable casing is the order of the day and its inmaterial what direction the original was operated in.
Apart for slight speed reduction in some instances and positional fitment these tyres can last for impressive distances.
As with all tyre carcasses its heat that kills 'em so inflation is very important.
Dennis
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Tire technology has made it a non-issue anymore ( like Dennis said) ,otherwise it would be a nightmare for the customers that want tire rotations to include their spare. :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy