Different A/C System

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Wayne Roberts

Different A/C System

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I was looking at a new Mack road tractor at the local dealer and noticed a small aluminum box with a large bundle wires and hoses coming out of it. I asked the owner about it and he told me that it was his overnight kit. Not understanding what he ment I started to ask questions. What he had was a small 1 cylinder diesel engine that was driving a small genset and an A/C compressor. He told me that because of more and more areas of the country were enacting no idle laws he was forced to add this unit to his new truck. It only burns .25 gallons of diesel per hour while keeping his truck cooled and the batterys charged. The electric was used for running the block heater but could be used in the cab also.

I started to think how this unit could be used on a Pinz. I am thinking of using a small (lawnmower size) gas engine that is coupled to an A/C comperssor via a belt. This would be a small package (might even fit in the tool box), it would not modify the Pinz's current belt set up nor would it pull any horse power from its engine and it would allow the A/C to run while parked.

Does anyone have any idea how much HP is required to run a small Sanden type compressor? My thought is around 5 HP. If room permits a small 12 volt alt. could be run buy the same setup to recharge the 12 volt deep cycle battery allready installed. Most small gas engines run at around 3000 rpm and that should be more than enough to turn the compressor. By using a regular clutch on the compressor and a donated car A/C system modified to fit in the Pinz I am thinking that it will work at budget costs.

Any thoughts from the group? I am sure that there will be less cost involved than using a genset and a 110 volt systems, both would have to be purchased new. Any 110 volt accesories are curently being powered by a small Coleman Sport genset that has a 12 volt output also (that is how my 12 volt battery is charged now). Thanks in advanced for any input.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

If memory serves,5-7hp for compressor,about same for alternator. You must find a way to regulate the enging speed when the compressor cycles. I used a 3KW gen set and an RV a/c on my K. I chose a super quiet Honda unit and paid a premium for it.With your lawnmower engine you are not concerned with noise,with that in mind there are a lot of gen set options avail cheap (used$200,new $350 up) and they include 12v charge outlets and the plus of 110V option. Throw on a roof a/c from an rv salvage yard for $250-350 and go to town! Add in a $25 target microwave,$1 8) 0 blender and popcorn and Marguritas on the trail!
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

For what it is worth, years ago I tried the lawn mower engine driving an alternator to keep a bettery charged in my Dads trailer. The alternator stalled the Briggs and Stratton 5 hp motor.

It has also been years (mid seventies) since I built a mobile storage freezer for a guy. Back then the old Harrison compressors took about 30 hp (Damn good compressor Most manufactures American and foreign used them. I always loved finding that GM compressor on a Lincoln Continental) But any way. I don't think a lawn mower motor will do it even for a Sanden. Dennis says bout 15 to 20hp is the industry norm for a small cay system.

One Cylinder Diesel using about 1/4 gallon per hour. (a lot of diesel for a "small engine"). I almost would guess it could be the 30 hp diesel in the Northern Hydraulics catalog. (I was kinda looking at that and trying to figure if it could drive a small car, Kinda like a modern home made mini or vdub type thing (they were 40 hp) decided it was too small)

Best of luck, let us know how it works.
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Has anyone tried to use the 24vdc A/C systems? I have found a few different set ups. I am thinking that this would work for a Pinzgauer and be easier to get working than installing a genset and a RV A/C system.
www.dcairco.com
www.wagners12voltair.com
These will become much more accessable next year when all of the no-idle laws go into effect, the class 8 trucks are forced to find other ways to cool the cabs while parked. Any thoughts? What is the Alt. output for a Pinz? I am thinking it was around 30 - 40 amps at speed.

wabasto ac

Post by 2012 »

here's a page from wabasto: http://www.webasto.com.au/am/en/3301_3302.html

dennis williams seems to be experienced with wabasto (24v, work gr8) and endorses them. he also says airco is a difficult company to deal with, but their unit looks nice. don't look to me to be much different from webasto, tho. i looked at the wagner. 5,000 btu's. a regular car put's out 17,000 to 28,000 btu's? is that right? wabasto's are rated in kw and i don't know what that means. dennis was going to send me some data (missing from their site) but a bucha pinz owners back in my home state have got him working ot so i haven't heard back from him about this yet.

good to hear about the anti-idle laws!!! i never realized how awesome forums are! like, how would i have ever known that otherwise?

so maybe i should wait on the ac till next year when it's more of a buyers market?

is there anyone out near golden, co who could volunteer dennis a hand with his work load (on my behalf) so he could get me some wabasto nfo?
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I'll give him a poke Tuesday to remind him.

Post by 2012 »

so... you guys share common turf?
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

If you call saying "morning" to the boss sharing common turf :P :lol:
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents
A KW is a unit of metric measurement. : :)

Fag packet calculations suggest a CC4e bungs out about 12000btu's
the CC5 about 17000 btu's, and the CC8 29000 of those units from zee ol' country.
A CC4e is available ex USA works the rest are 8 to 12 weeks lead time ex Germany
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now

prices

Post by 2012 »

YES! seeing the conversions to btu's, these units have PLENTY of power! now i just need to know a cost for each.

according to my web research, this is the best option. am i right?