ExecII poll

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

milesdzyn

ExecII poll

Post by milesdzyn »

Who has not upgraded to ExecII Diff. How long have you owned your Pinz and how many miles have you put on. Any problems?

Those that have changed over to ExecII was it because of a mechanical breakdown, or just because you were getting into the Diff for other reasons. Have you noticed a change?

To upgrade do you just do the front or front and rear? With a 712 thats $1500.00 just for the parts :shock:

Those that have had a breakdown of the suspect parts in the Diff, what was the cause. Low fluid in the Diff, Harsh offroad use / excessive torque, high mileage?

I'm trying to decide if I am going to remove the body to do a full body off restoration. If I do I might go ahead and do the ExecII upgrade. I just am not convinced that it is needed. So I am trying to find out the numbers of failures verses the number of people that have had no problems with thier Pinz', and have put some miles on them.

Miles
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey Miles
I have seen a fair qty of diffs from 710's & 12's. Some good, a few bad, and some real bad specimens.

I have my own views on this subject based upon experiences not emotion. They may not be what you might expect!

I will look forward to the responses you get and chime in on this later.
Very good topic, thanks for doing the original post.
Dennis
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I have two 710m's without the upgrade. I've had them for two years. They are commercial tour vehicles and spend most of thier life in low range, at high altitude, loaded with people or gear. I change the gear oil as soon as it gets dirty (GL-4). It seems that the execII most benefits higher speed driving. If it becomes a problem, I'll do the upgrade/rebuild for sure.
www.tellurideoffroad.com
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

I have had my 710K for nearly two years and in that time have logged about 15,000 dependable miles. I don't have the Exec II upgrade nor do intend to get the upgrade unless I need to rebuild either of the differentials.

The one thing that will really kill the differential pin is wheel spinning. If you think about it you will realize that the differential gears (aka spider gears) do not rotate on the pin unless one wheel is travelling faster than the other wheel, like when you are turning a corner. Even then, the amount of rotation is quite limited and relatively slow. However, when you get stuck in mud or snow and get one wheel spinning like mad, the spider gear is rotating on the pin at the same speed as the wheel. The Pinz spider gear pins were not designed for this (that's why you have the lockers). The original design is no different than that of most other cars and trucks.

The Exec II upgrade is better, but still not immune from the premature wear due to excessive wheel spinning. Just my opinion, but I believe the orginal differential gears and pins will last a long time if you drive the truck intelligently.
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
Steve in Oklahoma

Post by Steve in Oklahoma »

I've never done it on mine and for all I know it already has it in there.
I drive it daily and don't hesitate to off road it so as long as that works I'm cool.

STR
My idea of gun control is hitting what I'm aiming at.