poptop conversion

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

blindguy

Post by blindguy »

http://www.4x4crosslander.net/pinzgauer.htm

This is the guy with the ambulance.

The website hasn't been updated in some time though. Not sure if he still has it.

Post by 2012 »

yes!!! thx!!!!
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Ah the Furniture Knowledge guy. I remember Treffen 2001. If you look in his pics from that you will find a 710 with a Westfallia conversion. It was different, but an idea.

Post by 2012 »

i saw that! 1st thing i thought of was all the dead head school buses with the vw microbus tops at the rainbow gatherings and redrocks shows(south of boulder).

i work for a place that designs lasik machines and the beds have linear actuators on them. the beds are always getting thrown out so i have a source for very nice 30" travel actuators. and they're 24 volt! so... this may be the way i lift a poptop (covering the box).

on the otherhand, it would be nice to keep it all strictly mechanical and nasa certified.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

If you can get the actuator then a good lift system would be out of a tent trailer. The older Starcrafts sell for $150 to $500 depending on condition. If you look you should be able to find one that has a sink, fresh water tank, pump, grey water system and tables. Canabalize the lift system and maybe even the bed slide outs for a real outrageous camper. The canvas work is not all that difficult. Check the DIY top section of the SDP website.
Mike

Post by 2012 »

gr8 link!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Workshop Box

Post by Jimm391730 »

I've got a workshop box and I love it for what I need it for. Since they are rare, I don't want to butcher it all up, but externally it is great. I've had my 712 to 30 degrees side slope, but I don't know how much farther it would go -- what a mess if it did! The box is fiberglass inside and out, with styrofoam inbetween, and (I think) some structural steel or aluminum frame inside as well. I seem to pick up some stuff with a studfinder that alludes to that.

I have a friend who is thinking about an ambulance project too. I'd rather modify an AMB than a W (why give up those skylight windows?!).

Jim M.
712W & 710M

Post by 2012 »

yes! i finally found someone with a workshop!

yeah, i wouldn't want to mess with that, either. however, this amb i have is gonna become way nicer than stock. i can pretty much do anything to it. i like to copy existing engineering, tho, to whatever degree seems reasonable, so i'm seeking out the dimensions, etc of the workshop. i don't 'spose you have dims - do you? do you have any good pix of it?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Workshop Box dimensions

Post by Jimm391730 »

The workshop box is the same dimensions as an ambulance, but some of the W's have the raised roof-- mine starts about 10" from the top edges, then angles up and in for another 10" each direction, leaving only about 34" x 60" (roughly) that is actually taller. I am going to install solar panels, but the limited size of the flat area was an issue. The door opening is only as tall as the AMB, so I have to duck, but I'm looking down at the step anyway, so my 5'10" height allows my head to clear comfortably while looking down. Otherwise, the AMB is only about 5'6" tall inside.

Jim M.

Post by 2012 »

thanks for the nfo! i'll post you with my mods - i'm planning to put 2 130 watt kyocera panels up there and make a large, single door in the back. i'll have it all modeled in solidworks.