What did I fry?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Does this make sense, as I'm feeling like I'm chasing a ghost?
Batteries have power
Dash is dead, no lights or any sign of electrical life.

Now the interesting part: I have power to the starter lug ONLY WHEN IT IS THE ONLY CONNECTION TO THE LUG! When I connect it with the other red wires, I have no power reading on the multi-meter. Does this suggest some kind of short (probably caused by frying something?).

Your help with electronics for Idiots is appreciated.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Michael, I'm sick in bed so the mind may not be at full strength, but if you have power to the starter stud with "no-Load" you need to check for power handing problem between batt and starter. You can jump the starter solenoid to try to carnk. Carefully take a wire from the battery supply stud on the starter to the little connection on the starter. If the Power + and ground (power +) are good the starter should crank. If it doesn't crank one of the leads is not a good connection. Try this test if fails, run a battery jump cable from battery negative to the starter and retest, if still fails run a jump cable from batt + to the starter stud with the negative jump cable removed. Let me know what happens. AND Don't let the smoke out. That Positive jumper cable has a lot of amps available.

The analogy is you home toilet is hooked to a 1/2 or 5/8 inch dia pipe. The voltage is similar to the pressure and the amps is similar to the gallons per minute. Now if you hook the toilet to a drip irrigation pipe (about 1/8 id or smaller) there is the full pressure until you flush and then the flow (amps)cannot keep up with the demand and the pressure (volts) drops. In electrical you have two flows. In a Physycs class they preach the electrons frow from the negative post to the positive post. The prior test will confirm if either of the feeds (+ and -) are a drip irrigation hose instead of a 1/2 pipe.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

some progress:
I ran the tests outlined and for two of them; nothing.

I ran a jumper cable from the - negative terminal of battery to the ground of the starter and volla! Lights worked, dash lights up. I tried the starter button and only got a click at the starter.

I also noticed that when this negitive jumper brushed the engine tin that there were a few little sparks.

Short somewhere: where to look or how to go from here.

thanks for the assistence

Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Now for your next bit of magic, Try the test Scott ar EI suggested. Take your jumper cable and jumper across the battery disconnect. Let me know what happens
michaelh712

voodoo electronics

Post by michaelh712 »

This time it worked! The battery disconnect is not fried, but something happened with the ground connection, causing an intermittant ground. I ran this test numerous times before and no improvement. Last night I ran it again after jiggling the ground wire and volla!

They salt the roads here in Utah, and near as I can figure, this may have caused just enough interference that something happened when I let the smoke genies out grounding oujt the starter bolt.

Aggravating, but a cheap fix.

Thanks to all for your help, and to this forumn.

Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist