gas tank, larger

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

gas tank, larger

Post by 2012 »

does anyone around here have any ideas about obtaining/building a larger gas tank for a 712?
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Well...

I have one of these:

http://www.broncograveyard.com/bronco/i ... lastic.htm

a 33 gallon tank for a Bronco. I'm going to build it into a box and bolt it inside the bed for long-range trips. I have in in-tank fuel pump along with a dual tank fuel switch. All waiting to be installed. I also have some boat fuel tank disconnect fittings to complete the ensemble. Is 33 gallons enough extra capacity for you?

...If the whole idea turns out to be illegal, immoral or fattening, then you didn't hear it from me...

At least one of the dealers sells a tank that replaces the original along with the framework for the jerry can with a single tank. Check dealer websites for details.

-Evan

Post by 2012 »

yeah yeah! i'm looking for a REPLACEMENT tank like you mention here - replaces the original plus the jerry can - kinda like the TD 718"s have. it needs to be in that spot.

do yuo know what dealer has one? can't seem to find one.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You need to get your Amby and drive it a while before modding it to death. Many a person has bought a Pinz over the years to find out they weren't what they expected and sold them, not recovering a penny of what they put in. Everything is expensive for Pinzes, and very few things from the 716/18 will retrofit a gas Pinz, and vice versa. (trust me on that :wink: ) and some of the parts that have been, were not well thought out. What they gain one way, was lost another. The long range tank for the 710/12 was a second tank with a crossover tube between them, and if you were to off road the Pinz hard, this would be a determent for off camber movement due to all the fuel being on one side, along with the high sided shether and the a/c you plan to add. Cross tranversing a hillside would be scary at best if the tanks were on the downhill side.

Basically through all that, just drive the truck before you go crazy with it. :D

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)

wait'n on the pinz...

Post by 2012 »

well yeah, i know... i'm just arm-chair designing to get a jump on it all. the more thought i put in ahead of an action the better off my actual result tend to be. and right now, being that i have zero experience with it and lots of time to think, well, i'm thinking/researching full time (i guess you noticed).

on the otherhand, perfection is ever-fleeting. a friend of mine once said something i wil always remember, "have you ever noticed that as your sphere of knowledge grows, the surface area of ignorance necessarilly expands with it?"

yeah, the weight and cg are always on my mnd. i'm also planning to load a couple agm batteries into the front part of the back and solar panels on the roof and an ac unit somewhere low out front or in the back. man... it's gonna be a cross-coutry barge.
grayroad

larger gas tank

Post by grayroad »

Cold War offers the tank with armour that is about 30 gallons.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Fuel tank

Post by Jimm391730 »

An alternative viewpoint: Andre Swanson makes a great tank guard for the stock tank that also holds two jerry cans; armors that vulnerable spot, and gives the same capacity overall. Probably less money and an easier install as well! Other dealers may have something similar too.

Jim M.
712W (with tankguard) & 710M

gone

Post by 2012 »

I'LL LOOK AT THAT!
i found him with google:
Andre Swanson, marketing director with Southern California Pinzgauers

but so cal pinz is no more!
blindguy

Post by blindguy »

Another good way of looking at things is:

"If they ask you what time it is, don't tell them how to build a clock."

Simple is sometimes better. I am not yet a pinz owner, but have been studying them over the past 8 or so months, and honestly everything I have seen about them is geared toward simplicity, and ease of field repair. Complicating it with add-ons can surely overcome the engineering that went into making these reliable and fairly unstopable.

Just my opinion. Can't wait till I can pull the trigger and buy mine.

Post by 2012 »

yeah, i fully agree. i'm not gonna do ANYTING that i haven't fully engineered to the best of my ability. note: my ability is gradually increasing with all this talk on this bb, among other research. and simplicity RULES in my book as well. however, i'm also never willing to grant the original designers of any system a status that grants their work authority beyond reproach. i AM a designer, and i grant MYSELF the authority to inpect anyone elses design, and change it to fit MY needs (which are almost always unique). so far i've made a MESS of mistakes (i hope those days are gone) and learned a great deal. these days i make very few mistakes, attributable to, at least, all the lengthy reseach and design processes i now habitually preform 1st.

but don't get me wrong here. this isn't a conflicting view. i'm fully aligned with your opinions re simplicity and respect for the original design. but the difference i find between my attitudes and those of many others' is my refusal to accept a position of NOT questioning authority, NOT tearing apart another's design. i'm 100% confident i can drastically improve the utility and drivability of this 712 ambulance, at least within the domain i'm sticking it into.

so, suggestions re backing away from modding it are all noted and actually truly appreciated, but what i'm more interested in now are any actual mod ideas relating to turning this thing into a long-range camper, yet leaving its offroading ability as intact as possible.

larger gas tank solved

Post by 2012 »

ppl i work with race cars. it occurred to me to ask them about this gas tank i want. i discovered all i have to do is create some working drawings (solidworks) and i can get exactly the shape i want, in aluminum, from a welder who does racecar fab! and not too much $! once it's done, i'll have the models and drawings for anyone else who'd like to use them.
Wayne Roberts

Fuel Tank Baffel

Post by Wayne Roberts »

2012- Dont jump the gun here. There is a interesting baffel system inside the factory tank to allow fuel to be drawn up at with the tank at various angles. As your truck has not made it to you yet, you may or may not understand how little this truck flexes. It will get up on 3 wheels very easy and it will go to having 2 wheels up it the air quickly. It is quite a ride untill you get the hang of it. The point is without the baffel you are very likely to run out of fuel at a very unpleasent time. Before the crash here there was a post about someone building their own tank and the baffels were talked about in depth. I cant find the info but I am sure that who ever it was will chime in.

Post by 2012 »

nice! this is the kind of nfo i need...

i realize i need all the facts to do it right.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I have on e of Patrick CWR armored tanks and it is more like 32 gallons. It gives me almost 4 " more ground clearance at the tank and now I don't have to worry about the tank lining anymore. I had already made contact with my tank and was fearing the flaking problems. CWR's tank comes with a new sender and all the connections for heaters, and EFI systems. Patrick did a nice job putting this tank together for the Pinz and any future mods.
I do agree that you should get the truck out and use it a bit to find out what you really want to modify, if anything, before getting too carried away.
Mike

Post by 2012 »

thx for the nfo!

the one thing that turns me off about crw's tank is all that exterior grid material. seems like an unreasonable use of structural material. i wonder how much extra it weighs. good to hear they did a good job with everything but it just looks like they went overboard creating that iron gate "look". i'm from function junction. i wonder if i could get it with out that time-consuming, heavy grid.

yep, i can't do anything until i actually have it, so even if i wanted to commit a rash of ignorant modifications, i can't. but i'm researching and arm-chair designing with every second of my spare time.

when i get it i'm going to drive it all the time (it'll be my main vehicle) and do every reasonable thing possible to fit it into my lifestyle, camperizing it, being the 1st thing.