After Market seats

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

critter
United States of America

After Market seats

Post by critter »

I need some input on after market seats. Mine are presently stock and I have been thinking of swapping them out.

Those of you who have gone to new seats, please answer these questions:
What seats did you go with?
Do they fit the cockpit well?
Are they easy to remove if you need to get to the engine compartment?
Have they helped with your vision looking out the front or made it more difficult?

I would really appreciate some input on this subject. The replacements I see are not cheap. I don't mind spending the money. I just want to know what I am getting into.

Critter

Post by 2012 »

IF YOU HAVEN'T DO SO YET, CHECK EBAY FOR SEATS. i got some 2003 caddy cts seats that are wonderful (even tho i don't know how they will fit in the pinz yet). i got them for my suburban and never installed them, but now i'm abandoning my burb for the pinz. still have the seats. hmm.
critter
United States of America

seats

Post by critter »

I actually went to an auto supply store that sold after market seats. The manager assured me they would fit anything. I had them take them out of the store and sit them in my pinz. NO GO They were too wide. This worries me. I would rather spend the money and know for sure.

Post by 2012 »

ha! well that is interesting. recaros work (see coldwar's site). i wonder if my caddy seats are too wide! dangit! well if i have to get new seats to make my long-range camper pinz comfy wumfy then i'm going with nice recaros.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This is the seats at ColdWar
http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/image ... mseats.jpg

2012, You will learn that Pinzes are a lot different from any other truck , and "typical run of the mill" items will not work. Seats must be of a low cushion to allow for taller driver, thigh support cannot be too high that it hampers getting behind the wheel, and the the seat can be fasten that it will work with the original seat pan, or have a quick disconnect to get the doghouse off. Passenger seat must be narrower than most seats.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)

Post by 2012 »

yeah, i AM one of those taller drivers. i'm still gonna see what torture i can put my awesome caddy seats thru to get them right but i'm geared for disappointment, cuz they are very high.

also, this body lift looks good:

http://www.texaspinzgauer.com/
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

What's in your pills??? Body lift?

Also , who wrote the Pinzgauer's history on their site? Say nothing of spelling..... "Pugh" ?
History of the Pinzgauer

The Pinzgauer was originally designed by Steyr, Daimler and Pugh about 30 years ago. Its original purpose was farm use. Later it was adopted by the military.
Gee, and all this time I thought it was the Unimog that was designed as a tractor. when in reality ,
it was the Pinzgauer that was needed to haul those migrant workers into the fields :lol:

MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

I went with Cold war's Recaro's in my K. I can tell you it's a no brainer to swap out the stock seats for the new ones. Patrick & the crew thought out this replacement very well to insure the mounting is the same as stock. They are a little heavier than stock as the mountings are stout steel tube construction. At 6' I can see out fine but they do raise you up a little over stock.

I tried messing with putting in some seats from another vehicle and the problem is the narrow area you have to work with surrounding the engine cover especially the passenger side.

As always how much money do you want to spend or time?

This upgrade had nothing to do with my female passenger of course

:oops:
Just get in and go....

Post by 2012 »

how comfortable/adjustable are they?
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Dave, look at the "for sale" section on the site and look closely at the red K. They have made a filler panel that raises the windshield 4 inches. I was told that they also make some kind of filler panel for the roll bars also although I fairly sure that the panel would compromise the integetry of the roll bar. I have requested some info from this company but have not received a response yet. I am tall and 4 inches of head room would be a great benefit. I have to lean forward just to see out of the windshield.

Post by 2012 »

ya know, wayne, you told me about their 4" body panels a while ago and i've tried to make contact with that company- still no word from them. i'm gonna look at designing and building something myself. it's the kinda thing i do all day anyway. the front panel also looks like a nice place for a vent.
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

These seats are as comfy as any modern seat & then some (Recaro having had a long aftermarket reputation). Adjustments include: for & aft slide, infinite back angle by dial, & complete back fold forward by way of one lever pull. And as mentioned undo one wingnut & remove/replace as stock :wink:
Just get in and go....

Post by 2012 »

dave: the "body lift": texas pinzgauers has what they call "cab risers" - 4" panels. one goes between the lower bucket and the windshield. looks good.

is that what you're asking about when you're asking me what's in my pills? not quite sure.

oh. looks like some of this conversation got mixed up some how. i didn't see dave's "body lift" question (and something about the contents of pills) ... weird... sorry for my confusion.
Last edited by 2012 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You're right Wayne

They actually made a riser for the whole waistline! First impression, it reminded me of a Series 1 LR with it's flat sides.

The windshield on the TDs are up 1 5/8" higher than a 710/12, and the windshield is narrower, following the lines of the door frame. That's more than enough additional height needed for most, just the side glasses needed to be taller also ( ATL has made some this way too). Contrary to what some believe, The TDs rollbars are the same height as on the 710/12s. ( The softtop conversion on the Pink Cow came from a 710M, and a 712 intermediate bar)

I can see raising the rollbar a couple of inches on a riser, IF it entailed a return section on the bulkhead behind the cab and a stiffner under the sheetmetal on the sides. If you every looked at some of the UK's 716M pics, you'll see braceing on the rear rollbar to stabilize the bar on a rollover. .... And for the sake of those newbies here, they should NOT remove the screen on the front rollbar, it is structural to it.

Dave Dunn

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Riser and lift isn't the same.... some of us here... when we're off our pills, have actually considered a body lift..... about as practical as putting a diesel in a 710.

Dave Dunn