Pinz hardtop/softside project

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

jgeesen

Pinz hardtop/softside project

Post by jgeesen »

I'm currently working with a company that makes aircraft canopies to come up with a polysomething hardtop for the front and rear of the Pinz. The next step will be to get with another company to fab the soft sides and rear curtain. I plan on attacting the curtains via 'awning channel' for lack of a better description. It is a C shaped channel that a 'bead' on the top side of the curtain would slide into to attach. Solid, waterproof, strong/tough, and easy on-off pannels.
I'm looking for a dark smoked clear plastic for the front top. The rear may be made of the same stuff - or not. He is suggesting Kydex over ABS for toughness reasons if a clear rear is not decided on.
The rear top would wrap from side to side and be mounted to the topbow rail with the awning channel. All the fine points of top attachment for front and rear have not been hashed out yet, but several have been discussed.
So far he feels the front and rear top would run about $1500 for the 2 raw pieces - that means all the fit and finsh work would need to be completed. I'm guessing a complete top would near $2500 finished with the three soft sides. Since the factory tops are at least $1500 and an upgraded version with the same design is $2500+, these prices seem pretty reasonable. I, personally don't care for the factory design for my purposes, so spending that kind of jack for something I wish was different aint gonna happen.
The reason I am posting this is for feedback and to see what kind of interest my 'fantasy top' drums up. I'd probably need a good ten seriously interested people to get this project moving past the design stage.
I'll have to get a ballpark $ for a raw front only.
The pluses I see with this design is the variety of softside options - solid, windowed, all window, netting, etc. If a pannel gets damaged, it is MUCH easier to repair or replace than dealing with the stock top. Ease of removal instead of rolling up (and exposing to trail damage). I don't remove my front, I hate the sun/heat cooking me and keeps the trail fallout from landing on me. I've only removed the rear a few times, and never out of neccesity. I still have not decide on how 'removable' I will install my tops, but will work on a design that will make it as easy as possible. A permanant attachment would be pretty simple I'd think.
My Pinz is Linexed inside and out (which slightly changes the roll bar demensions) and another local Pinz (hi Kirk) is available with stock roll bars to use for sizing and fitment.
Okay - leterfly let's see where this goes.
John Geesen
937-470-3074
PinzEOD

Re: Pinz hardtop/softside project

Post by PinzEOD »

jgeesen wrote:<snip>I plan on attacting the curtains via 'awning channel' for lack of a better description. It is a C shaped channel that a 'bead' on the top side of the curtain would slide into to attach. <snip>
Is this similar to the channel often used along the front windshield of older jeeps for holding aftermarket tops?
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

Yep
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sameas RV awning channel.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

This is the stuff I used to attach my sides to the truck

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_l ... dID_E_3094

They also carry the rubber insert for the rail and the HH-66glue and thinner to work with the top along with the clear plastic to do the windows.
Mike
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

I'll assume from the lack of replies that this is only my fantasy for a top like this. I'll call the canopy guy and tell him to hold off until I'm able to swing this on my own.

Post by 2012 »

my intrest is in a full enclosure with squareness and solidity like the .060 thk aluminum structure i made for my suburban. i'm working on joining the box of my ambulance to the cab and i'm leaning toward temporarily using the roof i already have on my burb, cut in, of course, so the max standing interior height is 6'-3" or so. this will be used until i can get a full proper design done. my life is in random upheaval at the moment.
Last edited by 2012 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I don't know about the whole plastic or ?, but the aluminum insulated top I made has worked out very well for me. I also used the awning system to attach it to the truck. The channel makes for a nice water tight seal and easily removable. I did make my reat top all one piece. I leave my sides on most of the time but am looking for a "canopy in a bag" for when the weather gets nice. If all else fails I have the canopy on my trailer and it fits the awning rail.
Mike