Recaro Seat conversion

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

jchobby
United States of America

Recaro Seat conversion

Post by jchobby »

Does anyone make adaptor kit to repalce front seats with stoch? If so how hard is it to remove seats to do engine work.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Seen no "adapters",I use the original bases and attach them to the replacement seats,they still come out pretty much like original. You must be comfortable with some "fabrication" 8) TTFN,Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
jchobby
United States of America

Post by jchobby »

don't the seats sit to high that way. jchobby
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

It helps to find replacement seats that are equal to original cushion thickness. It is a real plus for seat selection if your under 6FT! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Ha! :twisted: Ha! :twisted: ! TTFN,Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy

Post by 2012 »

does anyone know which recaro's are used in cwr's bolt-in replacements?

note: with this stock driver's seat shoved all the way back, i have about one squashed finger thickness (.375") of clearance between the top of my head and the pad under the rollbar - not a GOOD thing. i'm wondering if the recaro's will go back farther and somehow indirectly sorta lower my head position.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I have Recaro's fitted, but the main problems I had to overcome, were that they were too deep for the Pinny and they were too wide for the RHS (the drivers seat in Australia)
By "too deep" I mean the radius on the engine cover wouldn't allow the seat to go back far enough.
The fix was to re-mould the engine cover with a tighter radius and appropriate depressions etc to allow for the side squabs on the Recaro's.

Mounting of the seats was relatively easy as I designed and had laser cut, new mounts that mated up with the original seat bracketry.

I must admit the Recaro's are REALLY comfortable and even when we competed in 24 hour 4WD events (something I haven't done in a few years now) my bum was about the only thing that didn't ache at the end! 8)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
krick3tt

seat conversion

Post by krick3tt »

I saw a write-up in one of the 4w drive mags about Mastercraft seats. Since they are local (Santee) I went to the shop to talk with the folks. They just sell seats, you are on your own for mounting. In the mag article it shows them custom mounted, but the guy said they only did that for the article.
They were 22 inches wide, too big for the pinz anyway.
I was thinking about the Riccaros, but the price scares me. Maybe after I win the lottery.

Morris,
710M
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

2012 wrote:does anyone know which recaro's are used in cwr's bolt-in replacements?

note: with this stock driver's seat shoved all the way back, i have about one squashed finger thickness (.375") of clearance between the top of my head and the pad under the rollbar - not a GOOD thing. i'm wondering if the recaro's will go back farther and somehow indirectly sorta lower my head position.
I know I'll be chastized for this, but I've removed the foam pads from my rollbar and enjoy an incredible increase in head room. I did it when I first got the pinz and have yet to knock my head. I know I know, there's always a first time.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc

Post by 2012 »

mike - i'm with you on that one. that pad is already gone as of this am.

profpinz - can you tell me which model recaro you have, and are they the same version as the one's cwr sells? i wonder if recaro makes something that fits better than the ones you have.

krick3tt - yeah, i'm pretty sold on getting something nice to sit in. i'm willing to let go of the cash for the kind setup. i trust recaros.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

profpinz - can you tell me which model recaro you have, and are they the same version as the one's cwr sells? i wonder if recaro makes something that fits better than the ones you have.
Errr....I don't really know the model number etc, but I'II take a pic in the morning and post it.
I've had them in the Pinny for about 10 years, but I remember when I brought them they were at the cheaper end of the Recaro range.

Funnily enough as the Recaro's selection of seats get more expensive they they also get wider and higher, (more shaped padding on the seat) so the cheaper more basic designs are better suited to the Pinzgauer
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

for what its worth, I was down a CWRI Sat and Patrick says he only has 1 more set of the recaro's and after that the price goes up to a ridiculous $1,000 per seat or so. Supposedly this batch was a batch buy from a Recarro dealer going out of business. He also will sell the recarro seat mount individually.

Post by 2012 »

so these seats are the se model (least expensive). they go for around, $350 each right now, un-adapted.

i wonder what welding or whatever would need to be done to some non-modified seats.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Recaro seat pic as promised!

....and YES, the vehicle does need a wash inside. :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

Post by 2012 »

thanks for the seat pic! so you live in a vehicle free zone (you're free to own what you like)! do you have any more high res pix of details of your truck anywhere? or... would you be willing to send some to my email? please? i'll even trade you for something!
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

There are heaps of pics and information on my vehicle and it's mods ..... and other Pinzgauers and Haflingers, on my website.
Feel free to have a look and ask any questions.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover