Transfer Case

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

712 Walt

Transfer Case

Post by 712 Walt »

Transfer case popped out of high range to neutral in my 712 M on Cajon Pass on my way up tp Brigeport CA 4th of July. Would only go into low range. Continued to top of pass and got a haul back to Oceanside. Pulled it into my shop and drained the transfer case - no chips or pieces/parts. Read through the repair manual and studied the parts book. Removal of the transfer case looks pretty involved.

Questions:
1) Anyone else had the problem?
2) Can I jack up the frame, release the rear wheels, frame tube, transmission, etc and while keeping the wheels on the axles move the whole assembly to the rear far enough to pull the transfer case?
3) Is there another way to pull the transfer case?
4) Is there anything else I should try first?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Hey Walt, Yes, the rear diffs can stay together and be slid back together. Then remove the transfer case.
I have done a few t-cases (710 and 712), call me if you need help.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Yes just a comment.
Just before you go ripping and tearing it all apart check the shifter cable to see if it hasn't come away at the anchor point. I had a customer recently who had a similar problem as you have explained and he discovered the anchor pivot near the Tcase had broken away giving alot of free play to the control.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now