Towing capacity?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

melensdad

Post by melensdad »

Well you guys have certianly convinced me not to tow with a Pinz. I'm now beginning to wonder if I would be better off towing the Pinz with the Snow Trac :lol: I can pull 16 people on a tow rope in the snow behind the ST4.
If you are interested in antique tracked snow vehicles, visit here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Post by 2012 »

i think i'm going to be compelled to tow a 6 x 12 uhaul (that's the size with its own brakes) across the country with my 712amb. i'll report all about it if i live thru it.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Towing experience

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have towed a 1500 lb pop up camper 1800 miles in 6 days on one trip, and towed an electric car conversion 2100 miles (plus 1500 lbs in the Pinz) cross country. My 712W is heavy enough as it is, so the camper is hardly noticable, either in pulling or braking. However, with the truck load and 2500 lbs or so of unbraked car behind it I was forced to keep hundreds of feet between me and the vehicle in front (difficult to do in metropolitan areas) to ensure I had enough room to stop, or at least choose which car I was going over. :oops: I'm not even sure I would take the camper with a 710, the short wheelbase scares me. But if you are sane and careful you can tow alot with a 712.

Stay safe,

Jim M.
712W and 710M
melensdad

Re: Towing experience

Post by melensdad »

Jimm391730 wrote:I have towed a 1500 lb pop up camper 1800 miles in 6 days on one trip
Jim did your pop-up camper have electric brakes and do you have a brake controller in the Pinz? I only tow trailers that have electric brakes and I use a Jordan Ultima brake controller in the tow vehicle.
If you are interested in antique tracked snow vehicles, visit here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Post by 2012 »

brake controller... so maybe it's possible to safely tow 4400 lbs (the max gross of a uhaul 6 x 12) since it has brakes? i presume the 5 x 8 uhaul is a bad choice since it has no brakes, even though its gross would be 2700 lbs.
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

Here in the US the laws vary by state, but most states require a trailer with brakes when the gross weight is around 3000# to 3500#. There are 2 types of trailer brakes that are commonly found, surge brakes and electric brakes. Most people who know the difference hate surge brakes, but they have their place. I only tow with trailers that have electric brakes. A low cost brake controller can be had for under $50, the really expensive controllers run about $139, so these things are not terribly expensive, but they do a great job of stopping the trailer in a controlled fashion. My little trailer has dual axels with a 7' by 14' bed and brakes on one set of axles. It stops straight and true, and if you have the brake controller set too high, you can actually use the trailer to slow the vehicle (not recommended).

Post by 2012 »

GR8 NFO! so i need to find an enclosed trailer with brakes. the uhaul rentals use surge brakes.
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

U-Haul uses surge brakes largely because they are easy, when the brakes sense a load they begin to apply some brake pressure. You often see them with boat trailers because they can take a dunking when you lower the boat down the ramp. Electric brakes don't like being driven under water.

Any tow shop, trailer store, etc can sell you & install an electric brake controller on most any vehicle. The 'company operated full service' U-Haul stores also sell & install electric brake controllers. If you can splice & run wire, you may be able to do it yourself.

Some of the premium brake controllers would be the Jordan Ultima or the Tekonsha Prodigy. You can do a simple google search and find them on the internet.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Surge brakes

Post by Jimm391730 »

My camper has (or sometimes has) surge brakes. They usedto work (I think), but lately the master cylinder has froze, so I'm certain that they don't work now! But with only 1500 lbs loaded, vs. 7500 lbs for my 712W, it's really a drop in the bucket. Anything heavier, though, I would definately want real brakes, electric with a controller.

With that said, I survived a trip from Michigan to Seattle with one of those 6x12 Uhaul trailers behind a big Oldsmobubble. You just can't drive like you normally do.

Jim M.
712W & 710M

Post by 2012 »

so... maybe it IS feasable to drag a 6 x 12 uhaul behind my 712amb, then?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Towing

Post by Jimm391730 »

Sure, that's easy. The Pinz won't mind, it just won't go fast (at times). And it won't stop fast. As long as you keep that FIRMLY in mind, you shouldn't have any problems.

BTW, when I drove my 712 to CA with electric car conversion in tow, my GPS said I had a "moving average" for the trip of 50mph. Still, I averaged over 500 miles a day comfortably, but I slept in the back, too.

Stay safe.

Jim M.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Long trips

Post by Jimm391730 »

Oh, the only way I could keep my sanity on a long Pinz trip is through the aftermarket seats I installed (so my butt didn't get numb) and noise canceling headphones (although illegal, I couldn't live without them).

Jim M.

Post by 2012 »

you don't realize how valuable this nfo is. it's very good to hear that i can consider driving this thing back to bldr with my stuff in a trailer behind me.

now i just need to fix the oil leak, grear oil leak, tail light, weird high-amplitude whine at 45-50mph, the exhaust leak (i guess that's why i smell it in the cab?), the rear door leaks, the 2 rear boots that the flatbed drivers wrecked, and install the recaro expert seat. :shock: . MAN.... but 1st it has to cool down outside and not start raining. sure wish i didn't have to go to work on monday.

QUESTION: someone stated that the tube on pinzes tends to BREAK when you attach a receiver there and tow something. REALLY?! um... so... this is not a confidence builder. i'm wondering if anyone has done any preventative correction here.
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

I have mentioned that the rear end can break (as it is cast iron) - under 2 special circumstances:
(1) a panic stop which could under circumstances have the trailer hit the trailer tongue hard.
(2) too much weight on the tongue which can cause a break when you hit a bumpy road and/or an uneven bridge seal.
BUT - you guys use electrical brakes whereas we use mechanical brakes in Europe. Meaning that for us the trailer need to come forward to get the brakes to activate. With electrical brakes you stand a lesser chance of having such a misshap.
Most of the time the break occurs on the top right or left bolt - due to the drop down hitch tongue.
The best solution I have seen so far is when the hitch is additionally supported thru the back. See here under:

http://pinzgauer.at/
(1) click on PRODUKTE
(2) click on DIVERSES
(3) click on KUGEL-ANHÄNGERKUPPLUNG
(4) click on the picture to see it a bit larger
NOTE: This set up allows to keep the original hitch from the PINZ as well - but is not allowed to be used here in Europe.

here is another hitch and example with a brace:

http://www.pinzi-shop.de/html/zubehor.html
(1) scroll all the way to the bottom

Good luck on your trip
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

A Towing Jaw that I like to use is the NATO TOW JAW

http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/html/pintles.htm

Compatibility:
Suitable for
Towing eyes: I.D. 75.00 mm
Section: 28.6 mm
Light Towing Pintle Towbar fixing:
4 x fixing holes at 85 x 44.5 mm centres. BS Au 24.
Uses M12 bolts.

This allows Rotation: which prevents the trailer from capsizing the vehicle if it were to turn over.
Lower lock designed to secure jaw in one position or allow it to rotate 360°. Lock secured with steel pin & clip.
I use mine all of the time and is briliant for recovery operations and is very safe to use.

It has a Towing Capacity of
4.07 tonnes
Tensile strength 22 tonnes

Safety:
Upper mechanism secured by secondary locking device, nappy clip & lanyard

Part No: FV987958

Approval:
TUV No TP4 1308
NATO Stock No: 2540-99-825-6119

Anthony
Wales
GB