Towing capacity?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

melensdad

Towing capacity?

Post by melensdad »

I'm very interested in a Pinzgauer or a Volvo 303, but I am curious what the towing capacity is for these units? Can either of them pull a load of approximately 4000#?

Is there an increase in towing capacity with the 6x6 units? I'd prefer the smaller size of the 4x4 versions but I need to be able to tow a ~2600# snowcat, on a trailer that is approximately 1400#.
If you are interested in antique tracked snow vehicles, visit here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I have towed one dead pinzie with one live pinzie up over a 12,000 ft. 4x4 pass before. Going up I could barely even feel it- even on the STEEP sections! On the way down I switched and got behind the dead pinzie and "lowered" it down the other side using the engine compression to hold it back.
That being said, I would hesitate towing big loads on the highway because of the poor braking power of a pinzie. In other words, they can pull way more than they can stop!

P.S. A 710 will tow as much or more than a 712.
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

I've got a couple other trucks with towing capacities that easily exceed 7000#, but I would really love to use a Pinzgauer or Volvo C303 to tow my Snow Trac. Its a lightweight unit at only 2600# but the trailer brings the weight up to ~4000#. The trailer does have electric brakes to assist.

If the brakes are a little weak, is there a common brake upgrade that people do to their units?
If you are interested in antique tracked snow vehicles, visit here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65
skybarney

Post by skybarney »

Jim Laguardia rolled his truck and the trailer with another Pinz on it while driving on the highway. The problem started with a low tire and bounced it's way to a roll over.

I will never pull more than 2,500 pounds including trailer. This is due to the brakes/truck being lame in a panic stop WITHOUT a trailer.
Tim Nelson
1972 710m
"ParaPinz"
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I agree. There are 101 better tow trucks than a Pinzgauer. 0 to 60 in five miles...and 60 to 0 in six miles!
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

Thanks guys, I guess I won't be towing if I get the Pinz.

Now with that out of the way, it seems like the brakes are pretty bad regardless :shock: So given that, is there any recommended brake upgrade for these things?
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

yeah there is a brake solustion, get a 712 and have no brake problems. Just keep them adjusted and they work great. I have never had any braking problems no matter how hard or fast I have stopped my 712. The 710 is light in the rear and would like to swap positions in panic stops.
Towing is another issue. They are listed as being able to tow a bunch but that is off road. On the highway I have towed the military trailer and that is about all I would want to tow with it. Not because of the braking but the acceleration, or lack there of.
Mike
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

mjnims wrote:Not because of the braking but the acceleration, or lack there of.
For fun I drive tracked snowcats. I'll bet I accelerate s-l-o-w-e-r than you do :(

mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Not if I was towing that behind me and heaven forbid if it was up hill.

Looks like a fun toy.
Mike
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Guys, my truck did not roll , it went over on it's rt side.(the trailer rolled)
I was pulling a 710M on my car trailer behind my 710M at 46 mph when it happened.
I contribute the mis-hap to small errors that added up . 1 the load should have been a few inches further forward, 2 the weight distribution hitch should not have been used as it shifted too much load on the front springs. 3 The trailer was new to me and had a fuse(I should have checked) in the brake circuit that failed(it now has a self resetting breaker) , when the trailer brake failed , the load lifted the back of the truck off the ground and the rt rear wheel drive broke apart when it came back down.
Right before it went over the rt rear sounded like the tire was low and I was trying to slow it down nice and easy. It was all over in the blink of an eye.
The truck that was on the trailer sustained damage to the items above the side rails. But all parts are obtained and it is going back together.
Lesson learned: I now limit myself to no more than 2500lbs behind my truck with an empty bed, and also suggest using a tongue scale to center the load.
By the way the truck was secured so well on the trailer that it stayed in place as the trailer landed back on it's wheels.
Food for thought
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
skybarney

Post by skybarney »

Opps sorry Jim, I knew it only went on the side but in my mind that is "rolled

One heck of a story! I never realized the trailer went all the way around. Glad you were unhurt.

How is the FI coming? You get that thing to a dyno yet?
Tim Nelson
1972 710m
"ParaPinz"
melensdad

Post by melensdad »

Jim, that's a nasty story but it sounds like nobody was hurt so I guess it could have been a whole lot worse. I tow small snowcats around as well as some tractors. The tractors are a heck of a lot heavier than the Snow Trac ST4 that is in the photo I posted.

Would the 6 wheel 712 be able to tow 4000# or should I simply not even consider towing with a Pinz? As I stated, I have other vehicles with tow hitches. My hope is to get a Pinz (or maybe a Volvo) and fix it up with an extreme soccer mom mini-van type interior (nice seats, good radio, sound insulation, etc) and use it as a family fun vehicle. We don't have rock crawling here in northwest Indiana, but we have sand and mud and when Lake Michigan gets cold, we get some great heavy snows.
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Hi guys,

Well I have a 712 and I tow a few times 4,000 Lbs with it.

BUT:

(1) The distance never exceeds more then 20 miles
(2) The top speed I allow myself to drive when I tow that much is about 50 Km/h or 31.25 mph.
(3) I have to add that I have then about 3,000 Lbs of additional weight on the 712. I do that when I get my yearly firewood.
(4) A 712 seems to be more appropriate to tow as opposed to a 710 since it has a dual axel in the rear and stands less to lift up - just like the mishap of Jim. Additionally having 2 more wheels gives you a bit more braking power.
(5) AND if you attach a ballhitch always remember that the rear section of the centertube is cast iron and tends to brake easily. We can't find here in Europe anything else but a hitch that replaces the original pintle hook and this one is being bolted on to the cast iron.

Post by 2012 »

do you have a pic of your hitch you can post?
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

While it's not 4000 lbs, I towed a pop-up tent camper back to Denver from the Treffen - which included the ever-dreaded Monarch Pass.

It was slow going, but I towed it up some big-arse hills in the Rockies without so much as a cough or sputter. I was a bit worried about how it would perform and came away truly impressed.
The biggest problem was the traffic I held up on some of those 2-lane roads.
When I'd pull over, it was really funny to see some of the people passing by:
Most people smiled and waved, some gave me a peace sign, some gave me the finger - As always, the reaction you get driving a Pinz makes it all the more fun. :lol:

Braking was not really a problem, but again, those things are relatively light.

The added weight did slow me down, no doubt - but only on the hills. If you do tow, you certainly can't be in a hurry to get where you're going, that's for sure.
~ TW ~
'73 710K