EFI Kit Nearing Completion

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EuroTruck

EFI Kit Nearing Completion

Post by EuroTruck »

Here are some facts..

-The Pinzgauer EFI arrangement has been through 9,000 miles and 10 months of development on a stock 2.5 engine. To aid in development a 32 channel data logger was utilized to monitor each cylinder at all times.

- To date 13 variations of plenum, throttle body and injectors have been field tested

- A large amount of comparative testing has been done back to back against stock carbs and the gains have been most notable in drivability, engine temperature reduction, torque at low revs and fuel economy. With the EFI installed and optimized the best MPG the test vehicle attained has been 18 MPG at a solid 105 Km/h for 2 solid hours sustained

- No laptop computer and associated support components are needed to install/tune this arrangement

- This arrangement includes direct fire ignition with fuel injection to eliminate troublesome mechanical distributor components, ignition is wasted spark with solid state electronics. With this the distributor, ignition coil and associated conventional components are eliminated.

The EFI kit will be comprehensive and will include the following:

* Step by step installation video of the kit being installed onto a 100% stock 2.5 Pinz engine. This video will cover all areas of importance including fuel hoses, electrical connections, component placement and even a tutorial on tuning the EFI arrangement to further fit the specific needs of the consumer in their pinz.

* System comes with fuel and spark advance maps already loaded for a 2.5 Pinz engine- most customers will need only slight tuning for perfect results, others won’t need tuning at all as a benefit of the extensive development of the system. Modified engines will require altered tuning.

* ECU with hand held LCD programmer, mixture control knob and full wire harness with modern weatherpack connectors and direct fire coil packs for direct fire ignition. All wires are individually labeled for easy installation and harnesses are heat shrink wrapped for wet environment operation.

* NE 24V to 13.8V converter with 30 amps of 12 load capability. The EFI system and fuel pump only have an 8 Amp draw. This leaves reserve capability for other 12V accessories- systems will also be available without the converter

* Thoroughly tested and well thought out intake plenum made from aircraft aluminum

* 60mm single throttle body removes synchronization of multiple carbs for simpler tuning and idle speed changes while allowing use of the stock air filer assembly

* 4 Bosch fuel injectors, new- not rebuilt. Hoses are not sold for liability reasons, however the video does specify what to use and how to arrange them

* One pair of Pinzgauer intake manifolds with proprietary injector bungs welded in place that locate the injectors in the most optimum location found during development

* One 60 GPH fuel pump

* One fuel pressure regulator

Whats NOT included-

* Any fuel hoses, fittings and arrangements for fitting a return line to the fuel tank- this is solely for liability reasons. We do offer recommended hoses and procedures in the video/instructions but do not offer these in the kit due to the risk of fire.

The arrangement will be available for retail sale in February of 2007. We have finished design and hot weather testing in altitudes up to 4000 feet thus far but await colder weather to finish the cold start maps for temperatures lower than 50F. Higher elevation will be completed when the vehicle makes a run to the top of Mount Mitchell late next month up to 6,600 feet. In testing so far the arrangement adjusts to elevation and temperature changes well and maintains drivability where carburetors operate poorly.

This development has been completed as a joint effort between Raby’s Aircooled Technology and EuroTruck Importers. All units will be sold through these two entities only, at a retail price of $2,399.00, complete. We are accepting refundable deposits at this time of 10% or $240.00. Systems are sold for offroad/race applications only and carry no warranty, express or implied.

There is no other EFI arrangement for the Pinzgauer that is this comprehensive, this developed and offers a complete instructional video detailing its installation.

WE MUST RECEIVE THE CUSTOMER'S INTAKE MANIFOLDS FOR CORE UNITS!!!!

Thanks,

-Sean Philyaw
EuroTruck Importers, LLC.
Odd-Ball Trucks and Parts
770-965-3311
www.eurotruck-importers.com
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Thanks for posting that, Sean...

This is the kit that I have been working on, in conjunction with Euro-Truck..

After 10 months of development we need obligations from those interested to complete the development.
When we have received 15 orders with binders applied we'll finish up the production kits..
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Foz

Post by Foz »

Schweet!
Foz
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

Very cool. Where do I sign up?
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
chapel

Post by chapel »

What kind of smog #'s are you getting?
Thanks
Greg
1973 710M (sold)
1976 712M (sold)
Looking for a Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Sounds cool, and an excellent price :!:
It will be nice to see other injected Pinzie's out there on the trail.
Now that my truck is mapped with the 48lb injectors , I will try some 30lb injectors that I got for a song 8)
No more stalling or running rich on steep inclines :twisted:
P.S., Are you using a crank sensor, as I don't see one listed in the kit.
Last edited by Jim LaGuardia on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Mr. Magoo

Exhaust emission info

Post by Mr. Magoo »

I am also interested in the smog levels you are seeing with this EFI setup. Here in Tucson, CO and HC are the levels looked at during our annual check.
Sincerely,
Gary Burt
1975 710M
Tucson, Arizona
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Mine is on order! :lol: Looking forward to Feb.
-Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms-
Should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!!
russ

Post by russ »

Cool, someone in FL getting one so the rest of us can see!!!
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Thus far smog numbers have not been part of the testing. This is primarily due to the fact that in my state we don't have smog tests or state inspections.

I will say that I sell my engines all over the world and a lot of them in Arizona and California, through all of this I have found that excellent efficiency is the key to clean emissions. With the Pinz the engine is not that efficient from the factory (only about 70% VE at peak torque) due to its design and application.

The EFI kit allows the customer to twaek the engine to pretty much any level they need to get by at the smog station with some experience. I will say that this kit is not CARB approved and is being sold for offroad vehicles that will be used in the state of California..

Jim, Yes the kit uses crank sensors that are to be installed into the customers crank pulley. we are looking for core pulleys so we can offer these already modified on an exchange basis. The same goes with the intake manifolds that house the custom injector bungs.

I would like to add that februaryis the tentative date for release, if we don't get the 15 kits presold by that date the kits will be held up. Until the 15 kits are presold we can't tool up to do the production run for the cost that is stated. Tell your friends!
Jake Raby
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Jake, sounds interesting indeed. I too have to be concerned about emissions testing in Utah. Stupid question #1: would the same engine with efi be more or less likely to pass emissions? Question #2: you list that this setup is for the stock engine. Would this same setup work for a larger engine with only tweaking(2.7+) or not?

Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

The EFI set up would tend to make engines pass smog checks more easily due to better fuel atomization and the quality of the mixture charge into the cylinder.

With EFI if its too rich to pass just pop out the programmer, make a change and test it again!

Tune while you drive-
Jake Raby
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hey Guys,
What'd that cost me with PROFESSIONAL installation?
I'm getting old enough to know that I can't/shouldn't/don't have time to do everything myself...

Really interested...

PS: Do you think your system will perform where it's COLD? Below 50F! Bah... We're talking -40F!!

TTYL
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Temperature won't be an issue. This is because the cold start values are totally adjustable to -100F. Of course customers in this extreme cold will have to tune these parameters themselves, because the coldest I'lll be able to test the units is about 10F at best due to our climate... Thats why we are holding off on the sales of the systems until the dead of winter testing can be done.

Sean may provide installation, we don't work on vehicles here only their hearts so I can't help you with it. If Sean does not want to do the install I can refer you to one of my authorized reps in your area for install. Most of these are VW/ Porsche shops, but the Pinzwould be welcome at most all the shops.
Jake Raby
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hey Jake, et. al.
That would be cool. A referal to somebody you trust in the upper midwest would be great. Again, I could probably pull the install off, but like I say, I'm just smart enough not to try it...

Seeya
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice