EFI Kit Nearing Completion

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

I'll be posting an update on my forums by the end of this week... Things are coming together, the big question is the Plenum cost and I have the final quote for having these made coming in to me Wednesday..

I am ready to get this finalized more than anyone else!
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Thomas-E

EFI Kit

Post by Thomas-E »

Jake,

Thanks for the work and patience! Glad to see that things are sorting out.
It will be a real pleasure I'm sure for my almost daily driver.':D'
Very Happy

Thomas, E.
712M
Sonora, CA
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jake where do you post the up date on your forum i can't seem to find it.
75pinz

question

Post by 75pinz »

At what point do you guys waiting on this just fix your carbs or buy Jim's kit?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

At what point do you guys waiting on this just fix your carbs or buy Jim's kit?
I've pissed off my quota of people on the forum so i think i will keep my thaughts to my self. Jim did you get my PM?
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

It has been a long wait. I have a deposit down on a kit. I am hopeful that the remaining cost will not be TOO HIGH to justify the final investment on my part. If it is, I will offer my place to someone else who wants a kit and they can reap the benefits. I will then just struggle with keeping the carbs and deal with the issues as they happen.
1975 710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

got a PM about tools, the reply is in my sent box..........
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Erik Maybee wrote:Jake where do you post the up date on your forum i can't seem to find it.
I have held off on the update because I am still awaiting a revised cost for the intake plenums. The cost of materials has went up but one of my fabricators got slow and dropped the price of his labor to fab them.

I am awaiting a test unit to come back from him now...

The major slow down on the entire kit has been the plenum, from it's design to the fabrication of it.

I do have two kits in Pinz owners hands that have been willing to critique the arrangement for me and provide an overview of the issues experienced during install and initial start up. They are both almost finished with the installand only await the plenum to complete the project.

I have continued to TRY to keep the price down on this kit, but doing so has meant struggling with the plenum outsourcing/ fabrication and thats the only part of the kit we are not doing in house here.

I am doing my best to get this kit ready for Spring release because I want it out of my hair as much as you guys want to get rid of carburetors. I have fought with most every aspect of this development from day one and I have been determined not to give up.
Jake Raby
pinztrek
Barbados

EFI is worth it

Post by pinztrek »

75pinz wrote:At what point do you guys waiting on this just fix your carbs or buy Jim's kit?
I can state on first hand experience, there is no way even rebuilt carbs can provide the same performance as a properly setup EFI on the pinz:

- Much improved slow speed (off idle) drivability off road
- Significantly improved torque at low to cruise speeds. Enough that you can comfortably drive with at least one, sometimes two high gears. (IE: Shift sooner). And less downshifting
- No gas smell in cab
- Turn the key and drive away, even in cold weather.
- Instant hot starts
- No different starting routines for hot vs cold starts, etc.

Any increased power is a bonus on top of these. Until you drive a properly EFI'd pinz it's just hard to imagine how much improvement there is.

With regard to how to get EFI, I'll just say there are multiple options out there. Long before Jim or Jake publicly discussed their efforts there were pinz EFI projects. And I'm not referring to the red bull either.

Likewise, Retrofitting EFI in place of carbs is not an exact science. There are many methods and approaches which can work. Some work better than others, but you can have two entirely different approaches work well. And rarely do they live or die by the complexity of the controllers on a vehicle like the pinz. The pinz is a very straightforward engine to tune and inject. Mechanical integration is the tough part, combined with a bit of engine dynamics.

So one thing is clear to me based on my direct experiences, EFI on the pinz is a worthwhile effort. Big wins in usability, drivability and economy.

Have fun,

Alan
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

There are many methods and approaches which can work.
Absolutely.. Through all my trialsI used 3 different injector positions and 4 plenums with 3 different throttle bodies. The results were drastic between all of these.
Some work better than others, but you can have two entirely different approaches work well.

Exactly, but one will always work better than the other :-)
The pinz is a very straightforward engine to tune and inject.
I found the exact opposite. The Pinz was the most difficult FI projevct I have ever encountered and I have injected over 100 different engines of all states of tune in the past 3 years. The Pinz was much more difficult to manipulate and plenum volume and design was also much more critical than most engines I have dealt with making 3X the power of the Pinz.
Mechanical integration is the tough part, combined with a bit of engine dynamics.
Finding the best combination of components that complimented each other was my biggest challenge. Getting rid of that devilish flat spot off idle was also a bit difficult.
Jake Raby
andy

Post by andy »

It's been awhile since the kits went out. Is there any real world feedback on how the installation went and how the kits have helped or hindered your Pingauer's operation? Just curious.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy, pony express must be running slow these days, they still have not made it out west. Could be trouble with the indians again :lol: .
Mike
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Yes, the kits have been slated for early August delivery for some time now.. We are on track for that delivery period today.

We await the ECU and wire harnass arrangements and I have had a hard time finding enough throttle bodies, but we are well on the way to being all through with this development.
Jake Raby
jchobby
United States of America

Post by jchobby »

Jake, checking in to see that we are still good for August shipment of EFI kit. Do you have final price figure yet?
Jamey Rhoades
712M, EFI any time now, diesel trans, line-x, charcoal paint, the list goes on & on, and a smile every time I drive it.
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Yes, we are still looking good for the August delivery, but it won't be the first of August as we had hoped.. More toward the end of the month as I have had a hard time sourcing the necessary hardware.

Below is the link from my online store that we'll be using to handle the sales of the Pinz FI kits. The pricing is lsted there and includes the deposits we have previously collected from the "Pre-Purchasers" and are the total amount due. Feel free to pay via credit card on the site, or we'll also accept a Bank Check or wire transfer. Shipping to each buyer will be calculated and added to the cost listed on the site for the kit.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/stor ... t=0&page=1

There are only 20 of these being made with no future plans of more kits being produced.

THE ONLY ORDERS THAT WE WILL ACCEPT ARE THOSE THAT HAVE DEPOSITS DOWN.

That means the 20 people that are on our liost are the only orders that will be filled.

Its been a long time coming, but now only a few pieces of hardware and some aluminum tubing for the Plenums is all that is keeping us from completion of the development and the kits.

I have sent updates via email to all but the following Pinz FI buyers, their emails were undeliverable/ bounced back to me.

If any of you are reading this please post your email address here:
Roberts, Wayne H.
Rhoades, Jamey
McCabe, Pat
Kenyon, Kirk
Jake Raby