EFI Kit Nearing Completion

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Mr. Magoo

Not in a hurry either

Post by Mr. Magoo »

Jake,

Once again, I also appreciate your time and effort to bring the EFI system to the Pinzgauer community.

Knowing that this system is not your 'bread and butter', I understand the delays to bring this to a very small group.

Please keep up the good work! :D
Sincerely,
Gary Burt
1975 710M
Tucson, Arizona
EuroTruck

Post by EuroTruck »

Ah....the lair of the mad scientist. :lol:

Thanks for the update Jake and good luck with the TV show.

-Sean
EuroTruck Importers, LLC.
Odd-Ball Trucks and Parts
770-965-3311
www.eurotruck-importers.com
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Being that I have not ordered one of the conversions, I don't have to suck up to Jake :D

But if I HAD placed an order, I would be saying, "Jake - if it is at least better than carburetors, please send it ASAP!" I say this with the strong feeling that even Jake's weakest effort has been an improvement from the carbureted setup.

It would of course be nice to have the best possible torque, horsepower, fuel economy and sex appeal; and I do understand and appreciate Jake's perfectionism. Gee - Maybe if I do suck up to him he will help me finish my Megasquirt conversion! :shock:

-Evan
Foz

Post by Foz »

or blow it up... its all good. :lol:
Foz
jchobby
United States of America

EFI better later than never at all

Post by jchobby »

As one of the people that has a deposit in, we all want it now, but the wait will be worth it. JAKE, LIKE OTHERS BEFORE ME, THANK YOU FOR NOT THROWING IN THE TOWEL ON THIS PROJECT. Good luck with the show!
Jamey Rhoades
712M, EFI any time now, diesel trans, line-x, charcoal paint, the list goes on & on, and a smile every time I drive it.
Boelt63A
United States of America

EFI MPG

Post by Boelt63A »

Jake,
I've been looking over all of your post's on the EFI kit and see several differnt MPG values. This is a major concern for me, probably more so than any increase in power. What sort of numbers are you getting now, and what should we expect?

Chuck
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

I ask the same question Jake!
Thanks...
Bruce
1975 710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

In my experience running EFI for 14,000+ miles, is the milage is the same or slightly better than the carbs. As I stated early on, the gains are consistant starting , no gas smell in the cab, much better off road response, especially on extreeme inclines and rough terrain.
With the stock cam and compression ratio, that is about all you get.
I would hope Jakes system works as well or better than what I have, but I prefer a single fuel feed to minimize failure odds do to resonance frequency vibrations that the Pinz engine likes to produce at higher RPM's.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

I have just finished my "in car" final tuning of the revised arrangement so to this point I have not kept up with mileage. In the coming week I'll be gathering this data since the engine is fully tuned in the mid range now after the dyno optimization.

Now, I was able to tune my carbs to almost 18 MPG with my 34" tires, most of you that are getting horrible MPG probably haven't optimized the carbs/dizzy/octane combination. I drove my truck 23K miles in just over 2 years and the worst MPG I ever got was 14 MPG and I run 110-115Km/H most of the time- basically wide assed open.

Part of the success of the final revision of the system was directly attributed to the method of fuel delivery we utilized. On the dyno the fuel distribution arrangement with one line per injector seriously leveled out exhaust gas temps and KILLED engine harmonics. I feel that based on the data we collected and the notes we have taken during this entire development that the even fuel pressure delivery has been the single biggest key to the system's recent success. This coupled to the much more effective plenum arrangement is the only way we got comparative results BETTER than a bone stock carbed engine.

Sure it adds more fuel lines, but it also totally removes the necessity of a fuel rail that can see a pressure and volume drop across it's span, we noted this with the two plenums we tested on the test engine as EGT followed the fuel rail's path of delivery. This could not be tuned out and was only eliminated when we created the distribution block, thus eliminating the pressure drop across the rail.

Trust me, I wish we didn't have to use this arrangement because it adds complexity, BS and cost- but it does work and works extremely well and I collected the data to prove this.

The resonance and harmonics are damn near eliminated with this latest revision of my system. My truck has a serious vibe @ 100Km/H that was totally eliminated when this latest refined system was installed. Now the truck has much better mixture quality and much more stable combustion balance. The byproduct of this is seriously reduced harmonics, its not even the same vehicle that it was with carbs or any of the previous EFI arrangements I have ran in this truck.
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
jchobby
United States of America

So where do we stand at this point?

Post by jchobby »

Final benefits, time line for kit avail., and $. Thanks again for staying with it.
Jamey Rhoades
712M, EFI any time now, diesel trans, line-x, charcoal paint, the list goes on & on, and a smile every time I drive it.
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

I am continuing to drive the truck and gather info. In the mean time I have quotes being made on the fabrication of the plenums and fuel distribution blocks as these are the single biggest impacts on the revised pricing of the kits.

At this point I'd say that Spring 08 will be the best guess as to when I can pull this all together and wrap it up. I had to break away from my usual work here for over two months to make this system a reality and now I have to make up for all that lost time in the lab and prepare form the new year as a business owner... So let's be safe and call it Spring.

As soon as I get the quotes on the plenums I'll get the final price posted.
Jake Raby
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

OK, MPG figures are in after several 83 mile round trips to/from the shop..

Average MPG after 3 tanks of fuel was 16.5 MPG, best peak MPG for a single tank was 17.1

These numbers are higher than I expected and I would not rate the system at this if in someone else's hands for fine tuning. I think a rating of 15 MPG would be the norm for most people.

I drive the truck at a suusatained 3,750 RPM for 80% of the 83 mile round trip, with my tires thats about 120 Km/H

Tuning is completed except just a tad bit of a deceleration lean condition that happens when slowing from high RPM down to idle swiftly- working on that one.

Cold start still needs some tweaking as well, but it fired up in 28 degree weather this morning just fine :-)
Jake Raby
jchobby
United States of America

Post by jchobby »

Jake where do we stand on the kit?
Jamey Rhoades
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

I continue to drive my Pinz.. I have a customer that agreed to be my critic on the kit and it's install. His kit is being installed now and based on what he finds and how difficult it is for him will dictate my course of action with the kits..

I have been calling the members of the list when I have a free minute, I have about 7 more to go...
Jake Raby
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Any up dates on this?