balancing carburetors

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

krick3tt

balancing carburetors

Post by krick3tt »

When I adjust the idle to balance the air going into the carbs, do I disconnect the linkage?

Cheers,
Morris
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

When I do mine...I always start with everything unhooked, tune them in, then hook everything up and get the rods set so the carb readings are as close as possible to the 'free' readings.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
krick3tt

balancing carburetors

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks Mike,

I had Jim help me at Dave Dunn's shop once, but I could not remember all the steps in the procedure. I did it this afternoon and they read even and the engine sounds great. Once the reason for the parts being there is known, it makes sense. Jim recommended that I replace the ends of the linkage as the old ones were a bit sloppy.

Next is the check of the tranny oil. I think it is going to be easier to remove the panel in the bed of the truck to get to the top rather than from the bottom. Does that make sense?
The hubs are not a problem, as they are the same as the mog I had.

Cheers,
Morris
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, to check the trans oil the floor plate must be removed. Next pull the fill plug on the top of the trans, and then remove the level plug on the side/bottom of trans. Fill trans till oil starts coming out of level plug pipe.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Pull up the floor plate for an oil fill! ..In short Nah.
The time to remove is more than the job is worth in JOB time.

We simply take a 27 mm wrench and pull out the fill plug adaptor. Then fill until it trickles out the level tube. Then simply put it back.
In my shop the only time that plate comes out is for a gearbox (transmission) repair or clutch job. Time is money.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Tony

Post by Tony »

Dear Linden......;

Your solution as to how to change transmission oil is not nearly enough involved.

Here is how I do it.

1) Rent a full service garage for the day.

2) Remove all wheels from Pinz.

3) Check all inside bolt diameters for uniformity and run-out.

4) Raise Pinz on hoist.

5) Remove any and all parts that are connected to other things with bolts.

6) Fill transmission to full level.

7) Reverse steps 5-1.

8) This entire tranny fill can be easily accomplished in less than 24 hours. Provided you don't sleep, eat, or answer the phone.

If you need some answers to technical questions, I suggest you call Austria and ask for Herr Puch.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey Tony
This guide of yours sounds like a directive straight out of a Government handbook or vehicle guide - repair - "procedures for the use of" ( sorry trying my best to use Gov vernacular) from some local authority. Have you ever worked for the US Government by any chance?

The only thing I see you appear to have missed out on is the multi layer supervisory staff that have their coffee cups permanently attached to their hands and knotches carved on their forearms. Just in case; so that they can lean on their shovels and broom handles without slipping off and landing in a heap on the floor should they experience a dozy spasm coming on!

All at the tax payers expence.
Lovely
Dennis

ps I must share with you the price guide and delivery schedule for a PAS pump repair and a HumVee someday or the US navy bed specs to 005" tolerance. no wonder the US Defense bill is so high.
OOOps no customer bashing now
krick3tt

balancing carburetors

Post by krick3tt »

There are a few conflicting opinions out there.

I am surprised that Tony has been able to escape from the harrowing experience of dealing with the honeys at the 'Door' in Ocotillo Wells.
Perhaps he told them that he was a government agent working for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Thanks to all for your input.

With that in mind, I am gonna drive it till it freezes up and just buy a new one. Pinzes are cheap, right?

...and to all a good night,
Morris
krick3tt

Breakers

Post by krick3tt »

Help,

This adventure is not doing well.

Yesterday I balanced the carbs, adjusted the idle and set the links to what I thought was going to be ok. Went for a little test drive and it was beautiful.

Today I went for a little ride and the idle is back up to fast. It idles fast enough to creep along at 12 kph in 2nd gear on the flats, and really diesels bad when I shut it off. What have I done to my little pinz?

Tears,
Morris
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

I'd check the Start cable connections (kinda like the choke...cept opens additional fuel inlets or something, no butterfly). The wire runs thru both carbs (passenger side), just like a choke cable wire.
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
krick3tt

Breakers

Post by krick3tt »

The only wire on the passanger side is the choke cable wire.
Pulled choke and it moves.
Perhaps I have a renegade set of carbs.

Cheers
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

If it diesels, could the idle solenoids be disconnected, then adjusted the idle so it runs without them engergized?

Jim M.
PinzEOD

Re: Breakers

Post by PinzEOD »

krick3tt wrote:The only wire on the passanger side is the choke cable wire.
Pulled choke and it moves.
Perhaps I have a renegade set of carbs.
Cheers
Did you have the wire loosened and removed from both carbs when you adjusted with the throttle linkage removed?
krick3tt

balancing carburetors

Post by krick3tt »

When I began the balancing exercise I pulled the connectors off one at a time to hear the click to see if they were operational. I will check to see if one has become disconnected.

I have not rebuilt the carbs, is this going to be one of the steps I am going to have to take in this discovery process? Fuel delivery does not appear to be the problem so I have not considered rebuilding the fuel pump, just the carbs.

Cheers,
Morris
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

A weird one that creeps up from time to time is the hand throttle. If it get Screwed counter clockwise enough the sleeve that protrudes and holds it at a fast idle. If that isn't it, just start checking that the throttle rods are allowing the carbs to return to base idle.

Best of luck