Vacumn line restriction?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

old green trucks

Vacumn line restriction?

Post by old green trucks »

Love this site for info!
Had this truck for years, always runs great. Ran fine when parked many months ago.
Difficulty starting. Turns over fine, fires a few times but will not accept any gas. After a couple tries of this the plugs have to be cleaned from too much fuel. Have checked fuel (clean), cleaned carbs, compression good w/o sticky valves, timing OK, new points & condenser and spark plugs. It is all there.
I checked the vacumn line for any obstruction and the angled rubber hose coming off the engine appears to have a resticting device inside. Is this correct? Air flows but limited compared to the similar hose connected to the distributor. Looked in the parts manual to see if two different #s but could not find a listing. Tried w/ a regular vacumn line and no difference but once it is going I'l like to know whether to reinstall the restricted hose.
Thanks for any help.
FYI...New distributor cap and rotor on the way...we'll see. Otherwise I'll give her the Elvis treatment.
Jim
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Try removing the (-) wire from the coil, and clean the contact ( corrosion will cause weak spark.
I have found this on a couple of trucks that sat :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
krick3tt

won't start

Post by krick3tt »

Read the Dec 10 'Pinz wont start' I had an issue and it was the wire from the + side of coil. Wire gave up the ghost and was hanging on by one strand under the rubber cover. Had extra gas like you.
Good luck

Cheers,
Morris 710M