transmission leak from top

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

75pinz

transmission leak from top

Post by 75pinz »

i have a leak from a small plate that is held in place by one 10mm bolt. It is on the top of the transmission if it is mounted in the truck. What is this for? There is no gasket and the plate may not be entirely flat is why it leaks. How do i handle this? I have taken it off and realized that I don't even know why it's there.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

That "plate" actually has a short shaft attached to it, which extends inside the gearbox.
There are actually six of those plates on the gearbox (three per side) and the attached shafts are what the three internal "selector forks" pivot on.
Each of the shafts has an "O" ring on it, so replacing this, may stop your leak.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
75pinz

What?

Post by 75pinz »

I removed my plate and it is just a plate. there is no shaft that I can see. The truck shifts fine. Is it broken?
75pinz

transmission

Post by 75pinz »

you're right. It appears the shaft has separated from what I will call the cover. How do I get the piece out and if I remove it what happens inside the transmission? When I call to order a new one, what do I call it? Thanks, bryan
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, it is broken :cry: The pin is recessed in the case and must be removed. You can drill a hole into the plate and then mig weld back onto the pin.
I use a sharp drill bit and low speed to grab and pull out the broken pin while it is spinning. Use very light contact pressure when drilling or the pin may fall in :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
75pinz

weld.

Post by 75pinz »

Can I weld something to the pin without the cover in place and just pull it out? I maybe don't understand what I have here. When I take the pin out, what happens? If I drop the pin, what happens?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Make sure the trans is in neutral, try using a magnet and a pick, the pin is a shift fork pivot. If the pin falls in, it may not be easy to retrieve without removing the trans :(
It's not as hard as it looks :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Can I weld something to the pin without the cover in place and just pull it out?
You probably could weld a wire to the top of the broken pin, particularly if you had TIG skills.
As Jim said though, be careful because if that pin "dissapears" inside the casing or gets jammed in any way, you may get an instant lesson on gearbox removal and gearbox dissassembly/assembly.
Make sure the trans is in neutral, try using a magnet and a pick
If you can't get it out with this method , have someone "jiggle" the gearbox lever between the appropriate gears ("appropriate gears" = the two that are controlled by the selector fork attached to the broken pin) ....this may take the load off the broken pin momentarily, so you can extract it with non-destructive tools, eg magnet, pick, needle nose pliers, even a vacuum cleaner.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Well I have a question, If the leak was delt with i.e. fluids kept up,what could happen with a dislocated pin?
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

ANOTHER QUESTION. :? ..How frequent of an issue is this pin thing and would it be advisable to perhaps remove-pre drill thru plate into pin and weld. It's that ounce of prevention thing....... :)
Once again,Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

ANOTHER QUESTION. ..How frequent of an issue is this pin thing...
Im sure someone who has rebuilt a lot more Pinzgauer gearboxes than me (someone like Jim or Dennis) may have seen it before, but in the 5 or so gearboxes I have worked on, I've never seen a broken pin.....and two or three of those boxes had had a pretty hard life!
Well I have a question, If the leak was delt with i.e. fluids kept up,what could happen with a dislocated pin?
It could be REALLY interesting if that pin worked in towards the gearcluster :wink:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents.
Pin sheer on 1st/rev fork pivots are due to harsh changing & clashing. Prevalent on this location the pin is shorter than most of the others and minimum side support due to the tight design inside the case.
If you were to drive the detached pin in it would butt up against the sliding dog ring and I suppose in extreme conditions could fall in the case.
For stubborn pins we use an "easy out" after centre drilling the pin to twist and pull the little blighter out.
Not an easy job for the mechanically challenged, and in some cases best left to a professional to do.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
75pinz

Questions

Post by 75pinz »

Drill into the center of the pin, and use an EZ out to remove it. When it is removed, what happens? Do I need to be cautious to reinsert a new one? What do I call it when I call Willie?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

This is the part where I say"every Pinz owner should have a set of manuals".
Just follow the instructions and pull the stinking pin out, and repair it. It is that simple, no chanting, conjouring, or mystic incantations :shock:

When you pull the pin the fork will drop slightly, to re-install wiggle the pin as you push it in(the pin tip is tapered for ease of installation).
So easy a monkey can do it :!:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

This is the part where I say"every Pinz owner should have a set of manuals".
... or four! :D
One can never have enough manuals :wink:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover