24v-12v trailer converter

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

chapel

24v-12v trailer converter

Post by chapel »

I just got one of the 24v-12v trailer converter which is a
sav part and the instructions show that for the brakes I should hook it up to one wire but the brakes in the existing plug work off the 2 turn signal leads. If I jump them together both signals flash when I use either. Can I hook this up to just one of the signals or is there somewhere else besides the existing plug to wire the adapter to?
Thanks
greg
1973 710M (sold)
1976 712M (sold)
Looking for a Haffy
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have never hooked up the trailer converter, but when I was changing my tailights to LEDs I found an unused wire that was brakes only, not the combination brake and turn that was wired to the bulbs. Can't remember what color it was, but I think it was only on the drivers (left) side light, no similar lead in the right. Maybe thats the lead you need.

Jim Mettler
712W and 710M
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Greg,

I think it is the orange wire for brakes only. Some trucks do not have it. My truck does not. I found this out also when I switched to the LED lights. It is on the schematic, but no wire on mine.

If you do not have one check the main connector box under the back. Maybe the orange wire was run to there and never connected to the lights.

Scooter
chapel

Post by chapel »

Thanks for the help, I'll check those things out.
Greg
1973 710M (sold)
1976 712M (sold)
Looking for a Haffy
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

the "rosa" wire is the wire we did not use when my son hooked up my LED lights it appearently is connected to position 3 on switch ( counterclockwise all the way up) i figured it was for black out light mode ....but not sure.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

yep, that's for the black out lights. I was going to save it for the reverse lights when ever I get that far.

Scooter
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

The one I installed for a customer, I ran a wire from the brake light switch to the converter. (The customer also had me intsall yellow turns on the vehicle and a red set on the vehicle.) The wire that went from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch was abandoned (insulated and zip tied into the harness) If I remember correctly, the trailer lights would work as a single set of lights. So, if memory serves you could run a wire from the brake light switch (paralled with the wire to the turn signal switch and have proper functioning red lights on the vehicle and the same on the trailer. Best of luck.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

So, if memory serves you could run a wire from the brake light switch (paralled with the wire to the turn signal switch and have proper functioning red lights on the vehicle and the same on the trailer.
Be careful - one thing that is very different than "normal" vehicles is that the Pinz often grounds the power leads when the bulb is off; if you are "paralleling" the leads, you might find yourself with a short to ground that you didn't expect. I found this out when I, too, tried to parallel the brake and turn signal leads and got nothing.

You can combine the leads into one output, but you need to used diodes to prevent power from going the wrong direction into ground.

Jim Mettler
712W and 710M