Transmission Leaks

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SAM. C.

Transmission Leaks

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

I need a bit of advice. I have had my 710M for about 3 months now I spent some time fixing it up and it has been on the road for about 2 weeks now. Last week I decided to change all of the transmission oils. I drained out the old stuff and replaced it with Castrol VMX 80. When I poured this in it was clear that the VMX 80 was thinner than the stuff I drained out but I phoned Castrol Australia who told me it was definetely SAE 80 and was suitable. Berof the oil change all of the transmission seals were as dry as a bone with not a leak in sight.

I took my Pinz for its frst big run today (about 200 miles), and about half way through i stopped and looked underneath and the main oil seals on my front and rear axles are weeping oil. In fact I have 4 big seals weeping. They are not losing a significant amount as far as I can see but they are definetly losing oil.

Is it likely to get any worse like have a major faliure of one of the gaskets and dump all of the oil out of one of the drives? And am I likely to do major damage driving the vehicle? Also is there anything I can do to improve the problem.

I am off to Fraser island next weekend so I hope it is not too serious.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Is the oil you used synthetic or mineral? On best advise when I replaced mine used mineral oil designed for "older" vehicles, I've not had any problems.
SAM. C.

Oil Leaks

Post by SAM. C. »

What brand did you use?

I am pretty sure VMX80 is a mineral oil, I have looked on the internet and I have a product data sheet but it does not say exactly what it is.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The stuff I used was Comma EP90 GL5 Mineral oil from what I can gather from the internet VMX80 is part synthetic.
SAM. C.

Oil Leaks

Post by SAM. C. »

Mate

You might be right. I need to investigate it further.

I degreased all of the leaks and have left it overnight and it all looks pretty dry except for a small seepage. I was wondering if the transmission housings build up pressure inside that make leaks worse when in extended use.

Are there any breathers on the transmission housings?