Fuel Delivery Problem-Why cant we use 5/16 fuel line?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Colorado Ron

Fuel Delivery Problem-Why cant we use 5/16 fuel line?

Post by Colorado Ron »

Okay-short version: Thought my fuel pump went out again. Put electric on it to see if it would work. Nada! If I pressurized the tank, it would kick on. Thought tank was clogged and had it boiled out. Hooked it all back up and still same thing. I replaced some of the hose with 5/16 and still nothing. ANY IDEA WHATS UP!!! Im goin crazy here. Should be something simple. As long as I pressurize the tank it gets fuel-after that it stops sucking. What the crap could this be? Can I replace all the fuel line with 5/16--something tells me its not the problem either. :x
"Expedition Junkie"

www.Offroad-Adventure-Travel.com
Where ADVENTURE is our middle name
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I would be inclined to ck the hoses between the tank and the fuel pump,I bet you will find a small leak allowing bleed-down when parked.
Good luck.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Is the gas cap vent plugged? You could also check the fuel delivery side for obstructions :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Watch out for the braided hose,it can look great,but will still "weep" while running and bleed when stopped. :evil: Follow the lines all the way back to the tank and replace if it is the old stuff,also look for kinks. With Jim's thought,it should stay running if you leave the cap off...
I guess big ?? here is does it run and die after a drive,or does it not want to start after sitting overnight,week,month?
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Colorado Ron

Post by Colorado Ron »

Well, not sure which line was plugged, but I just got under it and replaced all the fuel line from the tank to the carbs. Works great now so there was obviously a problem in there somewhere! Thanks guys. Oh and I replaced it all using 5/16th fuel line and hose clamps.
"Expedition Junkie"

www.Offroad-Adventure-Travel.com
Where ADVENTURE is our middle name
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Just a side note for anyone having fuel issues. One often forgotten filter/ screen to check is the fuel screen, located in the fuel pump top housing. The cone screen is inside the brass nut cap. This shouldn't get clogged very often, since it is after the main filter, but worth the check.

Miles