New Front Springs

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

springhill

New Front Springs

Post by springhill »

I replaced my front springs finally. I've had them for six months! I have taken the coils off before in order to replace boots and wipe seals. That was no big deal because I didn't have to take the spring compressor off on put them on again-------It is very spooky knowing how much pressure is on them. My spring compressors are generic and don't fit as well as I would like!
Notes:
1---you must compress the spring to 10.5 inches
2---when you put the compressors on the new spring, make sure
they are as close to 180 degrees from each other as possible.
3---remove the shock and rebound strap for extra room.
4---I wrapped a small chain around the compressor for safety!!
5---be very, very, very careful
I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the process for everyone.
I did take pictures of the result.
It sits at least 3 inches higher than before. The right front spring was extremely weak, due in part to the extra weight of the cattle feeder.
I now need to replace the back springs because it sits higher in front.
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... 1072-1.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... 2_1070.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/ ... 2_1071.jpg
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

compress them to 10.5? My 712s are around 7 right now. My 710 sits a good 5 inches higher in the front than my 712. I can't wait to see how Mark's custom springs work out for the 712's.

John you going to have a chance to make the SWPA treffen in April? I missed you last year but heard some really good things about you.
Mike
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Springhill, squeezing those springs kinda makes the 'ol bung hole pucker huh? :lol: I hope to receive my springs this week for the 3rd and hopefully final R&R.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
springhill

Post by springhill »

Mike,
Sounds like you need a lift on your 712!. I got my springs from SAV and they are a thicker coil than the originals. They really bang when going over rough country!
I don't know if we will make it to the treffen this year. I have a meeting that I have to go to the first of the month and will be gone for 5 days. It is hard to find time to get away.

Mark,
It is a major pucker-factor. Especially when you pick up the newly compressed spring and start fitting it back in its place. All sorts of morbid thoughts go through your head about -what if????
Good luck on your 3rd time new spings. Mine soften up when I have about 1500 lbs of feed in the back, but unloaded they are pretty stiff.
john
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"