Watch taking those door knobs off.

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Watch taking those door knobs off.

Post by todds112 »

Tried the crescent wrench and tap it with hammer thing. When it didn't budge, it turned into wack it with a hammer. Which of course caused the handle to explode sending shards everywhere. I was wearing no safety glasses of course, but luckily wasn't hit.

That was as bad as sawing the steering wheel off to put the new one on. Guess thats something else to add to my SAV order. :roll:
1973 712M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Knuckledown has some variations on the door knobs if you like the bling at http://www.knuckledown.us/products.html
I stuck with the factory ones myself though I was tempted especially for the lockers.:wink:
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Wow, those are bling-bling! I'ld really like some of those in a flat anodized black, but it would cost me a fortune to switch them all out.
1973 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

If you have a decent hard wood store in your area, you can stop in and check out some of their knob selections. When I got my 710 it had wood barrels for door handle knobs. A simple 1/2" hole in them and press them on. The wood stores have many different styles of knobs that can either be painted or stained to your taste. The wood knobs usually cost around $2-$3 buck each.
Just a thought for those looking for something different.
Mike
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

They are easy to make. Just get any round stock of aluminum or stainless steel 1/2 inch or so. Drill a hole in the center and tap a set screw or two to hold it on the post.
I used stainless on my first set. If I did it again I would use aluminum. A lot softer and easiet to drill into. I am still debating on how to finnish them. I would like to knerl them but they don't look bad with the original finish either.

I thought Knucle Down was out of buisness?
Wimps Need Not Apply
todds112

Post by todds112 »

They were sold apparently. A few weeks ago the onlu product on the "products" page was door panels.

More vendors, the better!
1973 712M
imacky
United States of America

Re: Watch taking those door knobs off.

Post by imacky »

todds112 wrote:Tried the crescent wrench and tap it with hammer thing. When it didn't budge, it turned into wack it with a hammer. Which of course caused the handle to explode sending shards everywhere. I was wearing no safety glasses of course, but luckily wasn't hit.
Can someone tell me how are the knobs attached? I need to get mine off but they don't budge and I can't tell if they're pressed on, screwed on, or what.

Thanks...

--ian '75 710M Radio
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Can someone tell me how are the knobs attached
They are a "push fit" onto the shaft!
In actual fact the above "push fit" is achieved by using a metal interference sleeve that takes up the slack.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

Profpinz wrote:They are a "push fit" onto the shaft!
In actual fact the above "push fit" is achieved by using a metal interference sleeve that takes up the slack.
Thanks, Prof-- I did see something about an interference ring in the exploded parts diagram-- that explains it.

So, you're supposed to be able to just pull them off by hand?? Does that actually work, or do you usually end up sawing the thing off (or worse) and replacing it?

--ian
springhill

Post by springhill »

You can tap them off, but go easy. I ended breaking the metal part the first time I took the door panels off. The metal handle seems to be pretty brittle. I think I eventually used an open end wrench that was the same width as the metal handle, along with a small hammer. Take your time and tap top and bottom on the open end wrench.
Good Luck,
john
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
springhill

Post by springhill »

Now that I think about it. I broke it because I tried to twist it off with a pair of pliers!!!! That was before I found this website :lol:
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Mine were easy to get off it was putting them back on that had me cussing the powder coating was to thick :x
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

I tried to drift it off but it became plenty clear after more hammering that it wasn't moving, and I didn't want to damage anything, so I punted and cut it off with a Dremel and tiny circular saw. Turned out the metal retainer piece was nicely rusted/expanded and wasn't going to let go. New knob/retainer is only $9, a steal at normal Pinz pricing. Why weren't these just screwed on?? --ian
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I found that squirting a bit of PBBlaster into the knob first helped to loosen the metal retainer ring.
Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
I-10pinz

Post by I-10pinz »

Same here hit mine with WD40 and let it sit awhile and they came off fine.
Only from above may they judge my actions below.

Thomas