Battery Equalizer

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

jacksonpinz

Battery Equalizer

Post by jacksonpinz »

I have seen Vanner and Solar Converters, Inc. brand equalizers. Just wondering if there were better brands and what some of you recommend. I am kinda leaning towards the Solar Converter, Inc. 20 amp model, which is actually somewhat affordable.
If you are lucky enough to own a Pinzgauer, then you are lucky enough!
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

I have the Solar 20 amp model and it works great. It does however drain the batteries when the Pinz sits unused for a few weeks. I solved this problem by installing an electronic Soneil battery tender. It all fits in the battery box.
Swifty 72 710M
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Thanks, ordered it today.
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

Jacksonpinz, When installing 12v equipment remember to use the ground off the Solar converter and not the chassis ground. If you use the frame ground for 12volt equipment and forget to close in the truck ground, when you turn on the ignition you will get dash lights. then hit the starter it will fry your electronic 12v equipment. I ran my "main" with 2 conductor marine cable, I purchased off Ebay.
Swifty 72 710M
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Thanks for the heads up. Should be here in a week. I was going to wire it like Juergen's schematic.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

I'm installing a batter equalizer and need clarification on the ground. Do I want a separate ground for the equalizer, or do I want to connect it to the in our out side of the ground strap that goes to the battery cutoff switch?
thanks
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
todds112

Post by todds112 »

jacksonpinz wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Should be here in a week. I was going to wire it like Juergen's schematic.
John, I'ld be interested in seeing your set-up when you get it done. And would you paint your dang name on your truck or something! I'm constantly getting approached and get, "Oh, you're not John." :wink:
1973 712M
Roman

Post by Roman »

Michael

I would suggest you to use totally separate ground.
As much as I understand, the equilizer is switching between the batteries, to have them equally drained. This means that also ground is switched.
As we know, both batteries are connected in serial way.
Common ground would work fine when the second battery would be in use, but when would equilizer switch on the first battery, the second would be shortcutted and would blow the fuse of the equilizer.

Best regards

Roman
1976- 710 M + 1976- 710MS
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Got the equalizer in last week. Haven't had time to set it up yet. When it is done I will post some pics.

Todd, I just tell everyone yours has the rear tire cover on it. I still get waves from every law enforcement officer in town.

Someone told me they saw me pushing it one day. Must have been yours. I have even been told that when I have my winter beard, we even look alike!
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Is it working?

Post by McCall Pinz »

I installed the same SolarConverters battery equalizer a few weekends ago and was wondering how you know if it's working properly. I wired it in the sequence printed on the case and used the bottom wiring diagram from the website. http://www.solarconverters.com/product_frame.html
There was a spark when wiring it up and want to make sure I didn't fry it. Is there a simple test? My batteries show 11.97 v for the rear and 12.17 for the front. Should they be totally equalized by now? Is .2v a big deal? Can someone please double check their red, white, and black wiring locations? Thanks.
ktmkirk
United States of America

12 volt needed for Webasto heater

Post by ktmkirk »

What is the best way to get 12 volts for a webasto heater I want to have installed. I want to get the heater installed at a Webasto dealer and they can only get the gas fueled heater in 12 volts. Is the Equilizer the best way to go ? Thanks Kirk in Ohio