Teflon tape on diff, tranny, wheel, lube plugs?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Teflon tape on diff, tranny, wheel, lube plugs?

Post by todds112 »

Do I need to tape the plugs while I'm doing fluid changes (to avoid leaks)? I guess I'm asking will it hurt anything if I do? I've heard in other auto applications to never do this because it can get torn off inside and potentially clog lube passages.
1973 712M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

If you are concerned about leaks at the plugs just order new copper crush washers and all will be dry with no worries of foreign matter in the oils.
Mike
krick3tt

crush washers

Post by krick3tt »

You can get them at NAPA, check the SDP site for the parts cross reference chart.

Cheers,
Morris
PittsPinz
United States of America

Post by PittsPinz »

I put some copper AntiSeize out of a tube on them to make them easier to remove (once you get them out the 1st time). Dennis suggested this to me a long time ago!
Don't know if this helps seal them or not but I remember some of the early posts where they were stuck & the heads got stripped & they had to be drilled.
Don't want to go thru that.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Mine came out pretty easy. I did notice on the rear most diff that both of the plugs on the side of the diff had apparently been stripped out at some point. There were heli-coils in there. Makes me leary of overtightening the others as I get to them.
1973 712M