New Shocks from Doetsch

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pcolette
United States of America

New Shocks from Doetsch

Post by pcolette »

First off, I apologize for the long post but hope it is worth it to some of you.

Having recently finished an upgrade/replacement of shocks on my 710, I thought the project might be of interest to others considering new shocks.

The existing ride was rougher and more jarring than I expected and after having that seconded by a fellow Pinz owner I removed one of the rear shocks and found that it compressed and extended much too easily. Some research around the forums, etc. suggested that a NAPA shock might do the job but at $93.00 each were not cheap for a stock shock. Ranchos were often mentioned but some members had strong reservations about using them. I felt that at $76.00 each (5000 series) from SAV they were worth a try so I ordered a pair and put them on the rear. Definitely a STRONG improvement in the ride. Smoother, less jarring and traction was improved as well. Was about to order Ranchos for the front also and then I heard about Doetsch shocks for the Pinz. From what I understand, a few years back one of the Pinz dealers or groups arranged to have the shocks designed by Doetsch specifically for the Pinz.

Patrick at Expedition Imports had customers who had bought them and thought they were great. Thilo at T-LO's Ultimate reviewed the specs and thought they would work out well also. Doetsch apparently only sells directly to the end user, so I ordered a set of 4 from Bobbi at Doetsch and was told they would be $99.00 each and would take about 4 weeks to build and ship. The model I ordered is HV1-3166A which is an anodized aluminum shock with valving designed to allow it to mount with either end up. They can also have a remote resevoir added if you want.

The shocks arrived in about 4 weeks and looked great!

I had ordered all new bolts and nuts from SAV since I noticed one of the rear bolts I removed was bent and also I figured if I'm installing new shocks I might as well go all the way. Installation of the rear shocks was very easy and took about 30 minutes.
Image Image

The front shocks take a while longer as the doghouse has to be removed and also the coil, suppressor and lower tin infront of the fan. I ran into my only problem trying to install the upper (red anodized) end through the chassis hole. It wouldn't fit due to its larger size.
This is where it is fortunate the shocks can be mounted either end up because the other end fit perfectly.
Image Image
Image Image

The overall install was not bad at all though having the correct wrenches for the left front is a must as access is tight. The ride is VERY nice and so improved even my wife mentioned it!
:D

I don't do any severe offroad so I can't say how they will do for that, but they are definitely nice on the road and rough trails.

You can reach Bobbi at Doetsch at 1-800-874-6257. There website is at www.doetsch-shocks.com.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Wow! Those are really nice looking. Very space-age/hi-tech.

Just to clarify that's $99 for each shock? That wouod add up quick on a 712. :roll:
1973 712M
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Paul...You may want to look into some sort of Rubber boot to cover the extensions, especially on the ones mounted upside down. dirt will get down into the seal and will cause premature failure of the seal. But they do look nice.

I have been contemplating the whole shock thing. I recently took off my shocks and found them to be easy to push in but hard to pull out. I thought they were scrap, but I thought I may be looking at them wrong. With the stiff suspension on the Pinz does one really need any more restriction in the upward travel, but instead more restriction in the downward travel or rebound control. Since I don't know how the originals were designed, or have a new one to compare them to. I may just put them back on since the ride seemed fine to me. If this is a big mistake someone throw out a suggestion.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Todd- yes that is $99.00 per shock and it does add up quickly (even quicker on a 712) but the NAPA's were only $6 less each and I think the Rancho 9000 series are close to $100 a piece also. I couldn't find a less expensive way to do this but I sure would have liked to.

Miles- I asked about that at Doetsch and they recommended against a boot because it can trap dirt against the rod, though I felt it should have one also.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Thanks for the reply, Nice write-up, excellent pic's.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
todds112

Post by todds112 »

pcolette wrote: Miles- I asked about that at Doetsch and they recommended against a boot because it can trap dirt against the rod, though I felt it should have one also.

Paul
Yeah coming from the Jeeping side of things this has been debated to death. "Most" feel that the boots just trap and hold debris.

When you look at it like that, you're right (price wise). I wonder if Old Man Emu makes a shock that would fit? I love the ones on my Rubicon that came with the lift kit. Great off road ride and decent on road too.
1973 712M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these shocks rebuildable? I heard to do that doesn't cost much compared to a new one.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes, I was told they are rebuildable. I don't know the details of it but that is apparently one of the selling points for many of the Doetsch models. I'm kind of hoping never to have to rebuild them :)
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

The main reservation I have had with aftermarket shocks is that most of the aftermarket shocks don't have the travel length of the original shocks. Hence the limiting straps no longer come into play as the shocks take the brunt of the axle travel. Something most are not built to do.

How do these measure up in relation to the original shocks?

Chuck
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

They were modeled and valved using a factory shock for the specs.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."