Steering stabilizer

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Oberon

Steering stabilizer

Post by Oberon »

Cold War Remarketing offers a Pro Comp steering stabilizer. Just wondering if anyone knows the Pro Comp part number so maybe I could shop around a little. Also, has anyone put one on their rig? If so, does it make much of a difference?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

They work great, just get it from Patrick as it is a custom application.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
dougj

stabilizer bar

Post by dougj »

I have one that I bought from patrick about a year ago, and never installed. (I elected to go with a factory unit instead)

in short, I have one that I'll sell cheap. new, never installed.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Put one on my 712 and would not be without one. I have the one for the 710 just have not gotten around tot putting it on. A quality stabilizer can make all the difference between having j**p fingers and comfort.
Mike
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents
If you do install this stabilizer do take some care on the prescribed fitting at the centre link.

From experience I have had several detach themselves and jam up the steering. It could ruin your day! while you are out to play!
Oh I was a poet and I didn't know it!
Beware Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Oberon

steering stabilizer

Post by Oberon »

Dennis,
Please elaborate.
Thanks,
Spence
lindenengineering

Spence.
Essentially the eye bush at both ends are for a larger fixing bolt and the silentbloc bushes pressed into the end eyes are far too large to slip into the chassis bracket or fix down to the centre link with the original Steyr bolting arrangement.

By pressing in an additional thin sleeve bushing, the chassis end of the damper can then be adapted by grinding down the silentbloc to slide inside the chassis bracket. The problem really lies with the idler centre link and the Pro-Comp damper fixing eye which is again wider than the original. A clearance issue therefore exists from the start once installed so care has to be excercised when fixing down the bolt to the link. Wear and end float on the link can make this condition worse as wear progresses. Remember this damper has considerably more residual force than the original.

Since it has only a few threads of engagement in this condition the fixture is marginal and there can be considerable "drift" in eye thickness. In extreme conditions the head of the bolt can foul the aperture in the swan neck causing the steering to jam up, or tear the bolt out on sheer impact leaving the damper "swinging in the wind". Often the damper will jam up the steering when you least expect it causing loss of control. In other words read "dangerous"!

I have brought this to the attention of the suppliers on two occasions after having repaired three instances where detachment occurred. I suggest if anyone has such a Pro-Comp damper installed they check for contact fouling on the swan neck or imminent detachment of the damper.

If that isn't enough the head of the fixing bolt is small enough to work its way through the silentbloc bush allowing the damper to ride up on the link and contact the swan neck aperture. I overcame that problem in Jackson (field repair) by welding a fender washer to the bolt and that was after I had junked one damper for damage after premature detachment!
After all its your neck (and I don't mean swan neck either!)
Dennis
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Dennis
While I am concerned about problems that arise from any aftermarket items, I have been using the Procomp stabilizer for some time with no ill effects. I would have to wonder if the installs, where the failure occured were done correctly or poorly. I use my truck more than most and on trails most pinz owners would not consider. I am also running the widened steel rims and larger tires. An improved stabilizer is a must for my use. I want to make it clear that I am not arguing that failures have occured just curious as to what the cause of the failures were. I recommend the install of these stabilizers and don't want ot be leading owners down a road that has problems. If it is just a matter of making sure they are installed correctly and periodically checked for tightness than it is still a great upgrade.
Mike
lindenengineering

Mike
You have hit the nail on the head. Installation is part of it, but only a part; detachment is a possibility particularly if accelerated wear causes contact and ultimate detachment. It only take a few minutes to verify the security and condition of the damper especially after a trail run. That might just help you avoid an accident.

Frankly I am not fan of fitting aftermarket parts to steering and brakes, there is far too much at stake when these items fail, especially as a professional in this business.
Dennis
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Dennis
Fully understand the issue with being a repair shop and concerns about safety. I am just wanting to make sure that there were no underlying issues with this. I could only imagine the trouble one would have steering a truck if the stabilizer were to become detached and lodged in a position that would lock the steering to one side or worse. I find many things wrong with other owners trucks that they just over look. Some of them could have cost them a lot of money to repair. If owners would just crawl under the trucks once in a while with a wrench and light to check things out their repair bills would drop considerably. I still don't understand the $3K a year maintenance bill some talk about. I would think considering my driving habits I would lead the pack in repair bills but it is just the opposite. I find I spend much more on gas for the pinz than anything else. Anyway, I always appreciate the people bringing potential problems to light, gives me something to look at when I get bored.
Mike
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

It could ruin your day! while you are out to play!
Oh I was a poet and I didn't know it!

Hi Dennis, I believe you missed the last verse (as I was taught it).
It goes: But your feet show it; they're long fellows.

As always, appreciating your advice and wit,
Paul
lindenengineering

Hey Paul
Don't worry John reminds me constantly on the remaining parts of that rhyme.

I need to brush up on my writing skills to emulate Carib (Trinidad & Tobago) peoples' pigin English. Then I could really print out some wit from my experiences with very happy go lucky people.
Very best regards & nice to hear from you.
Dennis
Colorado Ron

Post by Colorado Ron »

I fabbed my own setup using Rancho:

"Expedition Junkie"

www.Offroad-Adventure-Travel.com
Where ADVENTURE is our middle name