Pintle replacement

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Wayne Roberts

Pintle replacement

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I have bought a very nice M101A2 just back from the Gulf. The lunnett does fit in the Swiss pintle but it will bind up on a hard turn. Has anyone tried to fit and american style pintle to the Pinz mount? The 4 mounting bolt holes look close to the ones that Buyers sells but I have not measured it. If I replace it with a fixed mount should I expect problems? What about installing the kit to change the pintle to a receiver hitch and then add in a cast pintle into the receiver? I do not want to machine the lunnett to fit for fear of weakening it. I am sure that I can make something work but wanted ideas from someone who may have already figured it all out.

Thanks for any input,
Wayne
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I went the 2" receiver mount direction. I put receiver plug in for the military trailers and a 2" ball when towing civy trailers. I also simplified the wiring problems by purchasing one of the bosch male plugs and putting it on a trailer light kit (magnetic type). I then installed 24v bulbs in the lights. I can tow any trailer with the light kit and did not have to mess with all the problems of wiring trailers for both voltages or putting two connectors on the truck.
Mike
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I've been running into similar questions trying to locate a small (1/4T) trailer to tow behind my 712. Earlier US trailers I've tried also bind, to some degree. Be sure you've lubed the pintle so the lunette will be able to move. The trailers I tried towed OK, the problem with binding only is evident when backing up. I once tried an undersized lunette, bad idea, it bent the pintle hook (since replaced). I towed a Swiss Army trailer for a guy, and it towed excellently - nearly unnoticeable when towing, no binding. I really like the swivel action of the Pinz pintle, so I am not willing to switch to the reciever type hitch. If you were able to oblain the exact dimensions of the Swiss Army type lunette, you might be able to buy one and attach it to the trailer you have. Good hunting.
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I went and changed over to a 2" receiver style and added a US pintle hitch. It has worked well so far. I have not had it in the woods yet. I hope that we dont bind when twisting.

The M101A2 is the perfect match for a Pinz. The sides are about1.5" wider and the canvas is about the same height. I have used a MBT (early M416) and it just was too small for what I wanted and no roof.

Thanks for the input.

Wayne
Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

Wayne,

Where did you find your trailer?

Chuck
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I bought the trailer from Lane from Mi (Steel Soldiers). He had the only A2 I could find for sale. There are many of the older style out there right now at real good prices, but I wanted the surge brakes. I am very happy with the trailer. Have you started planning for another Steel Soldiers get together for this fall? It was a great time last year and I hope that Mike does it again.
Boelt63A
United States of America

Post by Boelt63A »

I'm sure Mike is working on that. He is sponsoring a meet in Helen Ga the end of Sept. If my plans fall through I am going to go but I have tickets to the FSU Bama game that same weekend.

CFB
'74 710M Wrecked/Rolled
"The Worm"
'76 712M
718 Turbo Diesel
tokarev
United States of America

Towing new trailer

Post by tokarev »

So let me get this straight - the US pintle hitch will work on the swiss lunett as long as you dont do any tight turns. Reason I am asking is I plan to tow the trailer I just bought home from MS to FL behind my Suburban. If its too close I will mod the hitch slightly.
Home of the SHTF50 and SHF/R50 .50 BMG Rifles
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

tokarev- I am unsure about your question. I had an American trailer with a 4" ring. The Pinz hitch was designed for a smaller 3" ring and it would bind. I am unsure if your new trailer will fit on an American hitch. I would say that you may have issues. The local Tractor Supply store had a cast pintle slide in hitch for a 2" receiver that was set up for a 2.5" to 3" ring for less than $60. You might just want to get one and take it with you. If you do not use it you can return it. When are you headed up to MO?
tokarev
United States of America

hitch size

Post by tokarev »

Thanks for the info on the hitch - going up to Fort Knox area for Knob Creek MG shoot on the second weekend of Oct. The trailer is near Oxford Mississippi so on the return trip from the Creek we will pick it up.
Home of the SHTF50 and SHF/R50 .50 BMG Rifles
og

Post by og »

After exhaustive search, I found SAF-Holland articulating pintle hook to be the best available solution. The model number is PHT60AOSL8, and is straight bolt-on through the 4 holes on pinzie's mount. You get 360 deg
articulation but you do not get shock-absorbing feature of Swiss Pinzie's original hook. It bolts straight-on, you must turn the backplate to make grease nipple to face down, and it would be the best to replace straight nipple with an angled nipple. I tested this hook with M101 and M103/M105 class trailers and works like a charm. Best of all I found this link on ebay, selling new ones ($52 shipped) for less then Chinese-made fixed-ones go for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PHT60AOS ... enameZWD1V

Do a search on "Holland Pintle" if this link above does not work.
Have fun towing!
OG