Subaru Motor swap??

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Colorado Ron

Subaru Motor swap??

Post by Colorado Ron »

Ever so often, usually when I climb in and smell hints of gas, I think of motor swap options. Today while looking at a subaru drivetrain at a wrecking yard I couldnt help but notice that the all wheel drive setup has a output from the tranny to the rear. Upon measuring, it sure looks like it could fit fairly easy. Just a new driveshaft to exsisting Tcase. Complete subaru drivetrains seem to be fairly reasonable and the benefits seem good. Maybe you guys can help me with some of the negetives to doing this swap.

Pluses:
FUEL INJECTION!
Easily available parts
good dependability
Maybe better MPG?
Optional AC
Option of Power Steering
Converting whole rig to normal 12V

so what do you guys think?
"Expedition Junkie"

www.Offroad-Adventure-Travel.com
Where ADVENTURE is our middle name
75pinz

for what?

Post by 75pinz »

Fix the carbs. the truck is well designed.
andy

Post by andy »

I have little things going out on my Pinz (headlight burnedout) but I suspect if I kept in a garage or on the highway I'd be fine. I use mine a lot in tough country. About the only thing mine isn't asked to do is boulder crawl. It's been a cool year here, temps only in the upper 90's but with mid level humidities and the truck has performed like a champ doing everything I've asked it to do and doing it well, without the stain of an A/C unit.

The other day I took it on a 180 plus mile round trip, on the highway with 1,250 lbs of deer protein in the truck, pulling a trailer with another 1,250 pounds of protein and then off road for another 20 miles total. The off road was through rock strewn creek bottoms, over cactus, up loose gravel/rock hills and she came in doing almost 13 miles to the gallon. With the door tops off, the sides rolled up, and the divider down between the bed and the cab I haven't noticed a need for A/C. I guess on a K it would be good. Power steering isn't an issue for me unless I have the front end locked too.

There is alot of Subaru/Suzuki/Korean stuff around for ranch use, but NAPA says when they break that's about it. Most of those vehicles are their downsized version of a mog, ie; a farm truck that has different parts. Just repeating what the NAPA guy said.

If you can make it work and it is as tough as what I have I might like it. Good luck. Regards, Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
andy

Post by andy »

Colorado Ron, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread or bad-mouth your idea. I don't want it to sound like that. I guess my line of thought is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. That fits me, but like I said if you can do it, go for it. Who knows it may open up a whole new world for the Pinzgauers.

Regards,
Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Wouldn't one swap with another gas engine but diesel would be nice,Or some of jake raby's freaking air cold engine parts would be nice 250hp out of a 2.5L sounds unreal, and less prone to break down. Just wish they were made for the pinz.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have wondered for a number of years if the Subaru would fit. Low horizontally opposed, Boxter. It should be more efficient than the Pinzgauer Engine. Better still might be the new Diesel Subaru Engine. :lol:
Anthony
GB
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Ron, I happen to own 3 Imprezas along with my 712. I don't know which Suby you were looking at, but on mine (97 Impreza Outback Sport) the engine bolts to essentially a transaxle, which provides transmission functions and drives the front wheels. An output from the rear of this runs to the rear diff. However, this rear output is managed by an internal clutch assy, solenoid controlled, to address torque bind between the front and rear. I'd guess you'd be dealing with the unused front wheel drives and somehow overriding this clutch assy. if you were to mate it to the Pinz' transfer case.
The other issue that I see is that the Suby is a boxer, and the right two cylinders would pose a bit of a placement issue. PLUS, don't forget that Subaru's seem to need engine cam/main seal replacement every so often, so it has to be accessable.
But if you wanna try, my '95 Suby is for sale (for parts!) with a complete, good drive train. I'll make it so affordable you can't help but try it!
Colorado Ron

Re: for what?

Post by Colorado Ron »

75pinz wrote:Fix the carbs. the truck is well designed.
wow, nice support. You think after 40 years there is no way to improve on this dated technology? Hmmm. I find that hard to believe. There wouldnt be so many replies on the aftermarket FI setup thread if the carbs where so peachy.

Undysworld,

I did not realise that the rear output was setup that way. I assumed they all worked near the same. I assume that when the front slipped the rear kicked in. And since the front wouldnt be hooked, the rear would automatically be engaged. These were all assumptions. I need to read up on these drivelines.

I too would love to do a diesel swap, but with so many headaches, I started to just look into more efficient gas setups. It would be nice to be able to pick up most parts at any napa versus have to call SA or equivalant.
"Expedition Junkie"

75pinz

Carbs

Post by 75pinz »

I guess maybe I didn't say that right. I guess to me swapping an engine is going the long way around. I mean, the carbs can be fixed to work properly for x dollars. Is x dollars more expensive than swapping the drivetrain from a car? I doubt it. How would you make shift linkage? radiator? 24 volt v. 12 volt? 24 volt wiring is smaller than 12 volt wiring as the amps are less...I suppose it can be done but if you are asking the questions my guess is you probably don't have the capability to perform the swap. Sorry man for being so blunt.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

How about one from a WRX STI. Who can't use a 300HP Pinzy?
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Colorado Ron

Re: Carbs

Post by Colorado Ron »

75pinz wrote:I guess maybe I didn't say that right. I guess to me swapping an engine is going the long way around. I mean, the carbs can be fixed to work properly for x dollars. Is x dollars more expensive than swapping the drivetrain from a car? I doubt it. How would you make shift linkage? radiator? 24 volt v. 12 volt? 24 volt wiring is smaller than 12 volt wiring as the amps are less...I suppose it can be done but if you are asking the questions my guess is you probably don't have the capability to perform the swap. Sorry man for being so blunt.
Big difference between blunt and rude. I have done more frame off restorations than I care to count. Started as a bolt washer for my dad when I was 3. So sorry, but your "guess" is wrong. You keep mentioning the carbs--this isnt the only drawback, my first post points out alot of other pluses(although they may not look like pluses by some).

As for your questions:

Wiring: planned on a rewire anyway
Shift linkage: easy enough to fab up
Radiator: They make custom alumn 4 cores any size you desire. Shouldnt be too hard to fit one behind the grill.

Your questions have merit, therefore answered, but please remember that the whole purpose of this forum is to discuss our passion for the pinz and to modify any way we choose. Just thought opening a discussion about a motor thats never been mentioned on here was good enough reason to start a thread.

Thanks all for open discussion. Never said I was going to do the swap, just thinking about it.
"Expedition Junkie"

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

There really is no good choice for a transplant, most of the engine choices have too little torque, or will not be reliable at the rpm range required of the driveline.
Others require lots of $$$$$$$ and none have been promising for 100% function on and off road.
However it is nice to day dream :P
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

I love the ideas for the motor swaps. It gets me thinking too. My concern would be the power limit of the drivetrain. But as long as were going crazy; how about a rotary engine from an RX. It would be compact and with the sky-high red-line, you could compensate for any low gearing you applied. The mileage would be crap, but you would never suck a valve. Just another day-dream.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
75pinz

blunt v. rude

Post by 75pinz »

I guess words on a page don't convey things the way you want to say them. Good luck with the swap.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Wow
I didn't realize that there are so many fag packet engineers on this forum!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now