Gear Box shift tower leak...fixed

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Gear Box shift tower leak...fixed

Post by todds112 »

Should have taken pics. This was a very easy repair. Had a little trouble popping out the old inner seal, but got it eventually. Used a like size deep-well socket to drive the new ones in.

The old tower base gasket was a paper type. The replacement I got is slightly thicker and seems to be more of a hard rubber. I didn't use any sealant, just the gasket, so I guess I'll see if it leaks.

On a side note, when I had the tower off I was examining just how it works, I noticed the center arm just clipped the other shifter when it moved. I noticed there was a very thin spacer on the 1st/reverse stop bolt. The spacer looked about the same thinkness as the over lap when the 2 arms hit each other. I removed the spacer and reinstalled the stop bolt. Now the 2 shifter arms operated without touching each other. After buttoning everything back up, it shifts fine. I used to have trouble going into reverse. It wasn't really straight up from first. You had to search a little while pushing down on the shifter and pushing forward. Well that is totally gone now and it shifts better than ever!

Very pleased with this repair. If your shifter arm is leaking at the tower, don't hesitate to do this fix.
1973 712M