hub steps (ridiculous)

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

75pinz

hub steps (ridiculous)

Post by 75pinz »

I bought a 712 last night and got home in the middle of the night with ringing ears.
This is the first pinz I have had that has the round hubsteps on it. Either I am partially retarded or these steps are not very useful. I can see no conceivable way to make ingress or egress easier. It's very easy to get into a Pinz for me and these things will not be finding their way on to my pinz. Anyone else have these things and like them?
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Just look like something to tear off to me. Or smash a shin on. :shock:
1973 712M
Pinz Enthusiast

hub steps (ridiculous)

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

I love my hubsteps, makes it a lot easier to get in, dont always use them to get out though, if they look like shin knockers maybe they were home made and stick out to far, I would venture to say mine only protrude about4 inches overall, not wide enough for the foot, but enough to get a little grip to hop in, also the other half is a lot shorter than me and she appreciates the foot hold to get in as well.

Hey Brian good to see your still out there, you comming to Mog Fest this year?
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I never liked my hub steps. But i do like the step that Scott sells.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I use my hoop step to get in , and my hub step to get out :P
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I love my hubsteps (not homemade). I don't know how I got by without them. If you can't figure out how to use a hubstep, well I don't know what to tell ya! Right foot on the step, left foot into the lower door, all while grabbing the steering wheel - is how they are supposed to work. I have never hit anything with them. I think that they would catch on more things if they were the "hoop" kind anyway. Hubsteps are an obvious upgrade!
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I use my hoop step to get in , and my hub step to get out
That's strange, I use my arms and legs :D

I was on a trip once and a rather "large" lady wanted to try the Pinny out for size.
Now that was an INTERESTING exercise trying to get her in the vehicle :wink: .... and she almost squashed a mate of mine getting out of it! :lol:

Another time I was heading towards home in the Pinny and I saw a neighbour walking back from the shops.
I offered her a lift, but after about 10 minutes trying to get her into the cab, we gave up, and she continued walking home .... You don't really know where to push and shove with some people! :roll:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
75pinz

hub steps

Post by 75pinz »

I don't find the pinz difficult to get into without them. I tried the suggested methods. I don't see why they are considered an upgrade. These appear to be the CWR steps along with the rear spring loaded step which IS nice. I will be throwing these on the scrap pile if anyone wants a pair.
krick3tt

hub steps

Post by krick3tt »

Just use them to get in, I free fall to get out. Made mine for less than $10 for both, they unscrew for off roading. ...but I am an old guy and jumping up into anything is a challange.

But, hey, if you really don't want them send them to me, I may get another pinz.

Cheers,
Morris 710M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

If you can't figure out how to take advantage of the hubsteps for your Pinz, I'll gladly take them off you hands. I am a rock climber and I love em! (It's not a matter of being out shape.)

E-mail me and I'll be nice enough to take those damn complicated things out of your life for ever!

www.tellurideoffroad.com
pinzwheeling

Re: hub steps

Post by pinzwheeling »

75pinz wrote:I don't find the pinz difficult to get into without them. I tried the suggested methods. I don't see why they are considered an upgrade. These appear to be the CWR steps along with the rear spring loaded step which IS nice. I will be throwing these on the scrap pile if anyone wants a pair.
I claim dibs if Twin Pinzies doesn't want them.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Thomas-E

hub steps (ridiculous)

Post by Thomas-E »

I prefer the steps that EI has manufactured, easily removable if your are offroading. The perforated step is really non-slip and good footing.

My wife wouldn't have let me buy my 712m without them! :shock:
PittsPinz
United States of America

Post by PittsPinz »

I've had my right knee operated on 3 times & was really having trouble getting in until I did the cheap Home Depot pipe & flange route.
I just jump out.
For $10 it was great!
rl dietz

hub steps

Post by rl dietz »

I also have the steps from EI and I think they are great,easy in easy out!!!! a fine product. and I have had the 2 steps in the dirt and the rear wheels in the air going down a steep trail up in arrowhead with no damage to the step or my pinzi. like i said a fine product. randy
74 710 m in southern calif
73 710 m in costa rica
79 u1300l unimog,in costa rica
todds112

Re: hub steps

Post by todds112 »

rl dietz wrote:I also have the steps from EI and I think they are great,easy in easy out!!!! a fine product. and I have had the 2 steps in the dirt and the rear wheels in the air going down a steep trail up in arrowhead with no damage to the step or my pinzi. like i said a fine product. randy
I do like the looks of these, would help my 5' tall "sweety" get in and out, and can be removed when off roading. Might be on the list for later.
1973 712M