Winch mounting

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pdxdave

Winch mounting

Post by pdxdave »

As near as I can tell from looking all over the web at every picture I can find, the main mount locations for a winch mount or bumper are the four big bolts on the front "bumper" area, two to each side of the towing pin, am I correct in this or is there something I'm missing......
I'd like to ad a winch mounting plate the one of the "SNFR" brush guards, mounted lower than their purpose built mount.
In a perfect world a Thilo's bumper would be the ticket, but this is more of "budget world" than perfect world.
Dave in Portland :roll:
pinzwheeling

Re: Winch mounting

Post by pinzwheeling »

pdxdave wrote:As near as I can tell from looking all over the web at every picture I can find, the main mount locations for a winch mount or bumper are the four big bolts on the front "bumper" area, two to each side of the towing pin, am I correct in this or is there something I'm missing......
I'd like to ad a winch mounting plate the one of the "SNFR" brush guards, mounted lower than their purpose built mount.
In a perfect world a Thilo's bumper would be the ticket, but this is more of "budget world" than perfect world.
Dave in Portland :roll:
I'm having a custom winch bumper made by Andre Swanson, that should be installed by this weekend. It's going to be box section 6"x3" on the face where the winch mounts, and protected by a reinforced stinger hoop to protect the winch and to possibly prevent a faceplant in case of too severe of an angle of decent.

I'll post a some pics, and if you like it, get in touch with Andre.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Andrew made mine he does a great job. Just make sure you pre order longer bolts it took a week for them to arrive. I guess if the bolt are missing you will shell out the bearing in the witches hat. creating leaks.
Last edited by Erik712m on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinzwheeling

Here's some pics

Post by pinzwheeling »

Here's some pics of the bumper Andre Swanson made for my truck. Standard winch mount bumper from 3/16" steel, 3"x6" dimensions. Two "D" rings welded to the bumper face, stinger with reinforcements, and still has access to the bumper pin underneath the winch fairlead if for some reason the bumper, and "D" rings weren't enough.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by pinzwheeling on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Never seen a pinz with a hard-on :)...and yes I'm joking for you uptight people!

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Very nice 8)
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

ExpeditionImports wrote:Never seen a pinz with a hard-on :)...and yes I'm joking for you uptight people!

Cheers,

Scott
I was going to put in a clever retort.... ah, never mind.
Michael

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Erik Maybee wrote:Andrew made mine he does a great job. Just make shur you pre order longer bolts it took a week for them to arrive. A i guess if the bolt are missing you will shell out the bearing in the witches hat. creating leaks.
Used the stock bolts, no issues, bolted right up!
Michael

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I had to order bolts that were an 1 1/2" longer $ 44. for stainles. My bumper is the one he has on the yahoo group with the side steps built in.
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Erik,

Why stainless? Are you planning to park your truck in the ocean for extended periods of time? :D

Stainless is much weaker than regular steel (this page is kinda interesting: http://reviews.ebay.com/Stainless-Bolts ... 0001623345).

No doubt for most bolts on the Pinz stregth isn't a huge issue, but winch bumper bolts take a lot of stress.

Sheesh, we old farts have to teach you young sprouts everything!!!

-Evan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

EvanH wrote:Erik,

Why stainless? Are you planning to park your truck in the ocean for extended periods of time? :D

Stainless is much weaker than regular steel (this page is kinda interesting: http://reviews.ebay.com/Stainless-Bolts ... 0001623345).

No doubt for most bolts on the Pinz stregth isn't a huge issue, but winch bumper bolts take a lot of stress.

Sheesh, we old farts have to teach you young sprouts everything!!!

-Evan
I think I would rather damage the bolt than stretch the body. I like my door alinement. Bolts are cheap enough to buy.