Locker boxes

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

lindenengineering

Locker boxes

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents
Locker boxes on Pinzgauers look simple enough basically a cone shaped cover with a shaft inside. a closer look will show that the rear unit supporting the parking brake has a different shaft.

Further observations will show that the methods of shaft support within the axle arr' also differ for good reason. I believe the truck was designed that way it didn't evolve by accident. With DIY repairs on the rise as owners become more familiar with their vehicles it is inevitable that some mistakes can be made. In some cases leading to expensive failures.

I have over the past two years or so fixed a bunch of leaking rear axle locker boxes many of those having been "attended to" by their DIY owners. The most prevalent problems have surrounded leakage of oil and bearing failure. A close look at the case will show that the outer circumferance has an "O" ring to seal it and an intimate fit onto a step register within the main case. When refitting the locker the most difficult part of the excercise is to enter the locker case onto the shaft and then the register without rolling the "O" ring off the step locator. In most cases I have observed crushed "O" rings that have partially slid out during clumsy fitment and then forced into place by tightening up the cap screws. Obviously this type of activity leaves the locker box squewed on the case and parent shaft stressing the bearing and the case register where it sits.
Is it any wonder then that bearing life and seal durability are seriously reduced.
To add to the "mix", the lubrication of the bearing is dependant upon a small quantity of oil splashing into the locker box. Bearings and seal replacements need a pre lube to ensure there is not a "dry start" before oil finds it way into the case during a test up the street. We invert the case prior to installation and put a small qty of 90wt oil in the case to lube it all up, leaving it like that for about 15 mins.
The rear locker box and the front axle counterpart are located by positive male/female telescopic spline location on their respective inner shaft fixtures. There is no tolerance for out of line installations in these two instances the unit will attempt to shake itself into line causing looseness, or semi destroy itself resulting in leakage.
The 4wd locker as many know is supported by a thin wall bush that gets hammered to fragments in the case of a failure or extended wear. Most of you who have repaired the T/case area have reported this. Its clear the manufacturers made it that way to accomodate any tolerances in the drive line and shaft deflection caused by the old multipiece torsion bar drive shaft.
Insertion of a one piece lightweight shaft has none of those virtues, the unit(s) must be carefully installed to ensure they are not cocked (squewed) on the case(s). As an added precaution once mated, I always slowly rotate the locker box a few degrees to ensure it is sat down squarely before securing the fixing allen screws.
To date there have been a few owners who have attempted front axle removal but most have been thwarted by the prospect of removing those hefty front road springs. With DIY repairs now being the norm and tools becoming more readily available the prospect of mis alignment componenets will rise as they have done with the observed problems I have reported on with the rear axle locker and parking brake assembly.
So take care.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now