Custom built hardtop ?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

tactical6

Custom built hardtop ?

Post by tactical6 »

I have a 710M, it has a custom hartop on the cab, was wondering if anyone out there has built their own hardtop for the back. If anyone has pics, stories or drawings, could you post them or e-mail them?

thanks
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

How about posting pics of yours? I have been toying with this idea for a while and might do one myself.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

http://www.c-u-v.co.uk/ here in the UK do their own hard tops for m's
No idea what they are like.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

http://www.c-u-v.co.uk/ here in the UK do their own hard tops for m's
No idea what they are like.
tactical6

Post by tactical6 »

this is what mine currently looks like with an aluminum cab top on it. I am thinking of adding a hardtop to the rear, insulating it. Wondering if any of you have done it.
thanks

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjKRPVIlBc
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I like to roll the front canvas back so I opted for a hardtop on rear only.
It is insulated and works well for my purposes. I have added a rack to hold my door tops just in front of my yakima rack.

If I were to do a hard top for the front it would have to be a T-top affair so I could open it up.
Mike
andy

Post by andy »

The hard top over the cab looks like it gives you more options for accessories. It is very tempting, but with as hot as it gets here I think it might make the cab an oven in the summer. This year, we didn't have many 100 degree + days, but with the windows/door tops out it was pleasant to drive even in in the mid to upper 90's. I like your idea Mike, with the rear hard top with soft sides that can still be rolled up and I especially like the side rails.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy
You are correct with the top rolled back and the door tops off there is enough air movement to make the Pinz tolerable in the summer. If you wanted to make a hard top for the front the other option would be to do this to it.

Takes some of the power away but well worth it for those who live in a warmer climate and you could always do the 2.7L upgrade and get back that which is lost.
Mike
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

tactical6 wrote:this is what mine currently looks like with an aluminum cab top on it. I am thinking of adding a hardtop to the rear, insulating it. Wondering if any of you have done it.
thanks

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjKRPVIlBc

That "veterans for Bush" sticker is a joke right?!
andy

Post by andy »

Mike, the A/C unit is a thought, but I actually like having the door tops off and the increased visibility. I got caught in a pretty heavy rain storm with the doortops at home and actually didn't get too wet. Mostly my left arm and top of my left leg.

I have a long long list of things I want to do to the Pinz, but I'm one of those people who thinks function and practicality is more important than comfort and would rather spend a load of money on the siderails and maybe an exoskeleton than A/C. Now a heater might be another story. I hate the cold.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

The Paparatzzzzz"s are everywhere!!! Nice pic if I do say so myself!!
Curremtly working on a lo-buck crew cab...All this in an effort to get family to "come out and play" :wink: ( A/C,no dust,heat) :roll: :roll:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy
I know what you mean about the door tops. I was caught going over Imagene Pass in Co. headed into Telluride when we got caught with my door tops at camp. That is where the hard top on the rear has come in handy. I made the rack to carry them with me always. I do like the comfort features since I have already armored both my Pinzies. I can't tell you how much I miss the radio in my 710. Even the wife has given permission to put 12v power supply and radio in it.

Mak
You never know who has a camera anymore. Now if you would just become famous so all the pics would be worth something.
Mike
andy

Post by andy »

Mike, I didn't mean to imply that I don't like the comfort features, but they do me zero good if the Pinz won't run properly or I bang it up. A radio is pretty high on the list of needed items because I am spending more and more time in the Pinz than the F 250 with all the goodies. The slow going, off highway on the ranches, between feeders, gets tedious quickly.

On the other hand, I'm probably blessed in that momma and the girls all like riding in the Pinz with the sides up. Well, daughter # 2, the beauty queen, whines once in awhile because it messes up her hair, but nothing serious, like I'm not going in that THING.

Cheers:
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy
I didn't think you were implying that you did not like the comforts I realize that mods need to be prioritized.
My daughter has become the little miss pris. When I first got my Pinz she loved it and in many cases was the only one to go with me on trail rides. Now that she has started looking at boys she does not want to be seen in them. This is too bad as all the boys look when I take the kids to school in it. I am hoping she will come back when she realizes that the pinz is a real boy magnet. My son realizes that the girls also look and he likes the attention.
Mike
andy

Post by andy »

Boys aren't allowed here until they have graduated high school. At least not the boyfirend going steady thing. Too much drama and too big of a distraction from their studies. They need their education so they can take care of themselves since I have no idea what type of guy they will marry and if he turns out to be a bum they can at least throw him out or leave without being dependent. So far, that's worrked pretty well with the two older ones being at the local community college. They appear have no problem dealing with the boys and keeping thier heads on straight.

The beauty queen can do the miss priz thing real well, but her sibblings don't hesitate to bring her back to reality real quick.

Wait 'till your daughter figures out that if she learns to drive a stick shift she can haul a bunch of girlfriends around in the boy magnet.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here