Valve Spring / tire comment

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

rospaw

Valve Spring / tire comment

Post by rospaw »

Broke an exhaust valve spring. Any local part numbers for one? Napa, autozone, advance ect,,,, Thanks Oh, by the way, put a set of Mickey thompson 285 75 16 mtz tires on stock rims today and what a difference. Great fit and look. I will let you know how they do off road as soon as I get a valve spring.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Beware of trying to find an alternative aftermarket part for a vital engine part.
I suggest you simply call one of the importers of parts like Swiss Army or EI and obtain the correct spec spring.
Your engine will love you for it!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
rospaw

Post by rospaw »

I know your right Dennis but.... but.... but.... Yeah Dennis, i guess i better wait. New tires and so many trails that are calling my name!
Ok, who should i get parts from? You mentioned a few but i have read lots of comments on people not get parts or it taking way too long and the other issue would be pricing. Thanks for your help and i do enjoy / agree with all of your post i have read. i believe that you are a very valuable asset to this forum. Thanks again, Sean
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

I have had good service on supplies from both EI and SAV.
I am obliged to give EI a plug on this board because Scott and I do business. He is great to deal with from my perspective.

The same goes for Willy, Sheery, and of course Sarah @ SAV. Willy has a collosal stock of parts; I have been in his store to verify that.

I get alot of parts from SAV because they only SELL parts period. They don't fix 'em. If I want something in a hurry I often call them.

I suggest you shop both places for price and availability. If you need tech advice on how to change it call EI who I am sure will be happy to advise you as he charges your credit card for the part(s). If you just need the part call SAV. Give them the ship time, overnight, two day, three day select, or four day ground, its your choice and you will get it. Oh don't forget a valve cover gasket and maybe some valve spring cap keepers in case you drop one and lose it in the dirt.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

Ditto on what Dennis said. I think it's kinda neat too, that Scott's business is worldwide and yet when you call, most of the time he's the guy answering the phone. Great service from both EI and SAV.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
Heed

Post by Heed »

I concur with Dennis!!

I have ordered parts from both and they have been great!

If you need parts in a hurry, the edge may go to Scott though. SAV took about twice as long for parts. (They were very helpful though!)
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Another vote for Scott at EI. I usually have my parts in just a couple days.
1973 712M
andy

Post by andy »

I've ordered from both Scott and Willy and can't say anything but good about both of them. Willy came in to work on a Saturday when I bought a trailer from him and came through with flying colors when I needed a voltage regulator.

Scott has been nothing but helpful in getting me parts I ordered from him. I got Hella headlights in about 4 or 5 days and later I got a side mirror and a parts manual in about the same amount of time.

Oh, and Dennis provides good service too, I got the gear for the windshield wiper motor from him in no time flat as well as practical advice on how to change it.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

probably enough input on this subject, but thought id throw in my 8.5 cents worth (inflation)...

i bought my pinz from willy. ive ordered from sav at least dozen times. and i have also used ei several times as well because they had something cheaper than willy did. i stick with sav simply because im in oklahoma and hes right next door.

i dont even do anything special on the shipping because its so close it will be there in a day or so anyway. ive overnighted from there before and it was there the next day, but the same timeframe would have passed it i "3 day ground" shipped it at much, much cheaper cost. ei does take longer to reach me, but as i stated...even driving a pinzgauer, sav is only 2.25 hours away so it only makes sense that ei would take a bit longer...

in 7 years never been screwed by either place, other than the actual price of the part, but i think we are all used to taking a beating on part princing...i mean, we knew what we were getting into when we bought pinzgauers!
Chris
'73 710m
rospaw

Post by rospaw »

Thanks for all the replies. To sum it up: it seems to that everyone is happy with both parts suppliers which is great to hear. I hope I don't have to use them very often! Sean
74 710 RAGTOP
Jeeps 74,86,92
max iv 6x6
Excursion
Ford f350 D
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

rospaw wrote:Thanks for all the replies. To sum it up: it seems to that everyone is happy with both parts suppliers which is great to hear. I hope I don't have to use them very often! Sean
:lol: The more I use them, the better my truck seems to run...and look.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
rospaw

It happend again ?/?/?

Post by rospaw »

Driving home last night from opening weekend Dove shoot and the same exhaust valve spring broke. It been 8k since I replace the last one. Any thoughts on why? Dennis, Jim ....ect
74 710 RAGTOP
Jeeps 74,86,92
max iv 6x6
Excursion
Ford f350 D
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Could be metal fatigue if it was a used one. Other factors, a loose or binding valve guide , incorrect spring hight, or over revving the engine, carbon build up causing a sticky valve, excessively loose valve tolerance. These are just a few of the most common variables.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."