Did later Pinz's come with rubber rub rails?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Post by todds112 »

Saw these pics on SAV's site. Looks like a molded rubber rail?

http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/shpics ... m=60&cat=1
1973 712M
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

To my knowledge the 710/712 only came from the factory with wooden side rails.
Many "aftermarket" modifications have been made over the years but I can't say I've ever seen rubber side rails.....The G-Wagen had rubber rails!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

have seen a few of the newer made wood rub rails painted black which look just like those. I am betting they are just some new wood rails.
Mike
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Those are new wooden rails, I've just had the front section replaced on my 710k and they were painted black just like that.
springhill

Post by springhill »

I bought some rubber rails from CWR last year for one of the 710's. They are shaped like the wood rails.
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Can someone explain the benefit of rubber rub rails (say that three times fast)

I love the wood ones, I used it extensively last weekend, and all the "damage" to the rub rails will be fixed in about 5 minutes with some sandpaper and OD green paint. It seems to me that rubber rub rails would grab obstacles instead of sliding smoothly along them.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Look at past forums this has been talked about in the past Profpinz has made several comments.
Tads

Post by Tads »

Even the latest Pinzgauers off the production line still use wood rub rails. SDP switched to a compliant plastic on the G Wagen but I've no first hand experience of its effectiveness.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I think this will be a spring project. Just gotta decide what wood to use and rent a table saw. Does make sense to make it a "sacrificial" part. Made one out of Trex last spring and didn't like the weight/consitency of it.
1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Todd do you fallow any of the other off road venues? If so have you seen the white plastic bolt peaces there putting on skid plates? allways thought it would make a nice rub rail replacement.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Erik Maybee wrote:Todd do you fallow any of the other off road venues? If so have you seen the white plastic bolt peaces there putting on skid plates? allways thought it would make a nice rub rail replacement.
Yeah, I've seen that on Jeeps before. I think it's a teflon plastic or something like that. Not sure if it would take paint, though.
1973 712M
ARVOps

Post by ARVOps »

andy

Post by andy »

Todd, have you seen the rails Mike Mims has on his 712? Metal integrated to the rear bumper. He has pics. My rails are shot and I think that is the route I want to go eventually.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Andy I also have them on my 710. I have also built a new rear bumper, spare tire carrier and jerry can holder. The rails can be seen in use in my video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-geO6dWNU
The metal rails are not sacraficial and hold up extremely well. I have had them on my 712 with similar use in rocks, trees and other larger obstacles. I have even been hit in the rear corner of my 712 with no damage to my truck, the other guy was not so lucky.

I still prefer a more solid side rail even though much has been discussed about softer wood rails. Of course like with all my additions and offroad armor it does not require modifying the truck and can be returned to stock.

It is all about what you want out of your truck. Personally I bought mine to wheel with.
Mike
andy

Post by andy »

Mike, my wood rails, what was left of them, were rotted out when I got the truck. All of the nut sert holes are rusty and I think if I use wood again, it will be a matter of time before the sun gets to the wood and then the little moisture we normally get will go to work on the truck's body.

The metal rails, I think and hope, would work better for me since I'm not so much in rock as you all are, but I have mesquite and huisache trees that reach for my truck. Your experience with other vehicles encroaching on your space is another plus.

They would also work as an anchor for an exoskeleton if I ever wanted to go that route. All it is going to take is time and money.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com