Emissions & Colorado

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

lindenengineering

Emissions & Colorado

Post by lindenengineering »

To many of you this might be boring and not worth reading but I thought I would post this as a guide to those who are in Colorado and thinking of buying a Pinzgauer. It may also be of interest to those seeing similar activities elsewhere.

Here in Colorado the tests on Pinzgauers are generally performed at one of the independant test places scattered around the Metro areas & front range. Falling into the '81 and older category they only need a two gas static test being checked at idle, 2200r/m and then back to idle, each cycle is one minute. the maximums are 6%CO and 1200ppm for HC's.
You can get this done at the Air Care Colorado centres but they frown on it since most of their work is 81 & newer vehicles excluding diesels.

We had our first 82 Pinzgauer in the shop this week for a prep for test and general looksee after purchase. I was forced to give the State authorities a call on emissions limits and procedures. Fortunately the vehicle in question was a 712 so the gross weight limit put us into the heavy vehicle category that being 8500lbs (the 712 is 8550lbs max). Being '82 we had to present it to AAC for test. Since it was a heavy truck it only needed a static 2 gas test as with the older trucks but E limits are lowered to 3.5CO and 800ppm HC's. We have not real difficulties in reaching those levels if the rig is in good condition, but might be a real chore to comply with if worn.

Now if we take the 710 82 & newer into consideration it would have to be a mandated four gas test on a rolling road with even lower figures and I estimate it would be extremely difficult to gain compliance in that catagory. In any case a nozzle restrictor has to be inserted in the the filler neck on all 82 on models to avoid filling with leaded gas but of course this is a mute point since there is now no leaded gas available these days.
So to sum up I would strongly advise anyone contemplating a Pinz purchase to consider 81 & older rigs due to the current more relaxed E policies & compliance.
Dennis.
More to follow on this!
OOOps no customer bashing now