How about a new subject? Tires.

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

IwanaPinz

How about a new subject? Tires.

Post by IwanaPinz »

A subject t that never quits, tires:
I am getting ready to buy tires for the 712. Let see if I have this right. The standard Maloya is a 245 /16C. That would be about 31 inches tall and about 9 ½ inches wide.

So a comparable tire size would be about 255/75/16. (That would be about 32 ½ inches tall, 9 ½ inches wide.)

So is that about as big as I want to go on the standard rims?

Now here is the fun part, picking the tires.

Looking at all the posts on tires I have narrowed my choices to the following:
1. BFG Mud Terrain 255/85/16
2. Cooper Discoverer STT 285/85/16. I can get them in smaller sizes too. (One of our members has 305/70R16. The tire guys I talked too were concerned that these were too big.)
3. Interco Trxus Mud Terrain 255/85/16

My favorites right now are the Coopers.
Bring it on, I am open to all input and suggestions.

Brian
1973 712M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I would Pick cooper
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I just put on a set of Trxus MTs today. Obviously no info on offroad, but onroad is much better. You probably won't go wrong with any of the three you listed. I did go ahead and spring for the stuff you dump on the inside of the tire to balance them; in my case it was Equal. Nice and smooth the whole ride home.
Kimball
1979 712M
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrains would be my choice! :wink:

As a road and mild off-road tyre I reckon they are great (I had a set in the early days)
When I get around to getting a second set of tyres, they are what I'II be using when I go soft-roading!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I agree with Peter. The so called mud terrain tyres are really all terrains when compared to the more extreme tyre available now. I do think though it all depends on the sort of off roading that one is using them on. BFG and the like are seen as soft over here. We are perhaps used to wet mud and Clay the going can be very soft and boggy intermingled with wet greasy shale. Mild tyres get clogged up very easily. Over the pond rock crawling seems to be the order of the day, BFG etc is perhaps what the doctors has ordered. They do perform very well on tarmac. The more extreme tyres that have gained popularity over here are not so good in this aspect.
Anthony
GB
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

255/85R16 are significantly larger than the mayola, the 235/85R16 that I have fitted are within a mm or two of the mayolas in every direction
http://flickr.com/photos/85306730@N00/1516092894/
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

I've run the BFGs on a couple of different Pinz's, and have been very happy with the results. They are not the most aggressive tire, but they seem to be one of the best all around tires for multiple surfaces. I run BFG MT in 255/85-16 and they work very well for a 712 in that size because they will give you a little more top speed without sacraficing too much bottom end.

I've heard some good things about the Truxxus tires also, I just like to stick with tires I know will hold up well to sharp objects, snow, rocks, light to medium mud. In sand, the BFG Muds are not the best choice, the less aggressive the better in the sand (unless you run paddles). Additionally, the BFGs don't have any weird on the road handling issues or noise that you would ever notice in a Pinz.

If you go with the BFGs, good tire pressures are 40 PSI on the road and about 22-25 PSI off road. Any lower than that, you run the risk of losing a bead with the stock rims.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

I have been running BF Goodrich All terrains 285/75/16 T/A

Just ran 500 mi. round trip to the beach. Great ride.

Bob
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input so far.
It seems that 255 is the preferred first number and 16 the preferred last number.
I take it that going higher in the middle number is not recommended, higher than 85.

I checked the side wall rating on the Coopers and the BF Mud Terrain and they are both rated "e" and both have a 3 ply side wall.

Brian 1972 712M
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

255 is the width in mm, 85 is the aspect ratio and 16 inch the wheel size so you can't change that without changing wheels. The Mayolas are probably closest to 245/80R16 so 235/85R16 is pretty close. You can also go for 750R16 which are a wee bit smaller. Funny thing is the manual states the alternative tyre size at 650R16! Which is much smaller.
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

For the money and offroad performance you can't beat the LTB's

http://www.intercotire.com/site36.php

I have been impressed with them.

The BFG's are nice too but for a 712 pricey. I was out the door with 6 LTB's for $700 with a $50 gift certificate to 4 wheel parts
Wimps Need Not Apply
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I agree Super Swampers are GREAT tyres, but they are not a great road tyre.

Off road the SS is damm hard to beat (mind you I reckon the Simex ET's give them a run for their money.... but I'd hate to have to live on the difference) but on road, tyres like the BFG MT's are far superior, in braking, cornering and straightline stability/performance and most importantly, wear! .... I guess it all comes down to pattern design! :wink:
I got about 15,000 km of use out of each of my two sets of SS's (you could still use them after that, but they were pretty useless in the mucky stuff) and I loved them, but IF I was only/mainly going to do soft-roading and/or a lot of road work to get to the 4WDriving etc, BFG's would be my choice!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

OK guys so I am on the verge of buying new tires (no really) and I don't want to get it wrong.
Here are my options, all Cooper STT
235/85R16
245/75R16
265/75 /16

I was also looking for a taller tire to improve my highway speed a bit.

Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
1973 712 M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

tough to give tire recommendations without knowing how you use it. For all around tires on my 712 I was very happy with the interco Trxxs as long as tire pressure was up around 55psi on the road. I am now running the Mickey Thompson MTZ' which have also been working out well on both my 712 and 710. They are a bit soft for some of the sharper rocks around here and have some tread damage showing. The BFG's I have on my Durango have gone hard (like all BFG offroad tires) and I am not impressed with their offroad capabilities now. They last forever as the rubber is very hard. A couple of the pinzies around here have them and you can definately tell when on side slopes as they are the first to slide. The coopers seem to stay soft longer as well and have performed well on our terrain here. Again depends on usage, I am willing to bet you don't run into much cactus and mesquite trees and the rocks are probably not as sharp. You do get to play in the mud though.
Mike
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Thanks for the suggestions Mike.
I have decided to get the Cooper STT.
My question is from the available sizes what size best fits the Pinz on its original rims?