Greetings from the Yukon. Getting my 710K end of Feb

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jerbearyukon

Greetings from the Yukon. Getting my 710K end of Feb

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Buying my Pinz from Bob Rainek Milwaukee. Still trying to get the rest of the info from him, but it's tough at xmas and he won't be back for 3 weeks.

So as you can guess I have alot of questions. I have been lerking for about 3 weeks now. Searching the different sites, looking at videos etc. I have decided this is the rig for where I live. Neat a good heater though

I have to drive it back to the yukon..about 3000 miles.

1 - Is there anyone in the Milwaulkee area that could go have a look at it for me. I read some posts by somone who bought one from Bob before and said some nice things about him , but that he wasn't very knowlegable about them.

I have contacted a few of the parts places and I know from talking to Bob that the heater is in need of repair so here I go with the q&A.

1 - I saw the upgrade package from Cold War (seems to cover alot of things for about a grand).

2 - I also talked to Dennis at Lindenengineering and he had some things he could do too.

I think the package is a good thing and I will need the following (I think)

SO THE PROBLEM - MAYBE NOT A PROBLEM:

Is there a place in Milwaulkee that can do some of these things or should I be contacing these guys.

This is what I would like to get done prior to me flying down to pick it up.

1 - The package as outlined on the Cold war site
2 - Some kinda heater - Dennis suggested a Webasto 3000
3 - New Tires - I know from the sites this is a snake pit of possibilities but I was leaning to the Trxus
4 - I wanted to get the drive shaft kit to reduce the vibration - IS THIS A GOOD IDEA - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SLAP ME IF YOU THINK I AM GETTING A BIT CRAZY OK..

This is what the add says:

High Speed Dynamic Balanced Main Drive Shaft (from Transmission to Transfer Case). OEM Pinzgauer Driveshaft was balanced for 2500 RPM. This New Custom Shaft is balanced for 6000 RPM... Pinzgauer Red-Line is 4500 RPM. A Real Vibration Killer! Also features Much more Cost Effective U-Joints that are SEALED and Center Splines are Completely Sealed!

5 - new bumer and winch

I think that's about it. - I thought of the EFI but don't know if that's doable yet. I am not a mechanic and the talk about the carbs have worried me a tad, but I work at the college here and I have lots of Mechanic friends

Ok that's about it for now.

I anyone can help that woudl be GREAT. Have a great xmas and happy new year.

Jer Bear
75pinz

Consider this

Post by 75pinz »

I wouldn't suggest doing much of anything that deviates from stock for a 3000 mile trip home in the middle of winter. Put on some new 255 85's in your choice, change the fluids, make sure the thing is in proper tune and that everything works properly. If the heater is kaput, then a webasto or an espar would be worth it's weight in gold up there...The last thing I would want is someone working on the drive shaft and then heading on a 3000 mile trip that is as cold as yours...A they say, the first thing to break is usually the last thing you fixed... The other crap from CWR looks to me to be a great marketing tool to separate you from your cash. Good luck. Pinzgauers are COLD.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

75 Pinz
Good advise that.
As I have often mentioned, service it well, drive the thing first, and get some miles under yer belt; then decide if you MUST change something.
The Webasto was certainly the thing I recommended for the Yukon.
A steaming great 3000 model to heat the back up as well!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Thanks guys..Just don't want to have any problems on the way home that I could avoid by having someone who really knows well to have a look.

Is it ok to go with the winch and bumper cause that will be hard to get up here.

Jer Bear
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So is there anyone in Milwaulkee or somplace along the route home that could help me out.

Check the engine over and put on a new bumper and winch and do the heater for me and check it over. I will pay you.

Thanks again

Jer Bear

I have 10 days to get back
75pinz

I think the safest closest guy would be Dennis.

Post by 75pinz »

I know Denver isn't exactly Milwaukee. A local Pinz enthusiast could probably help you with making sure it is all proper. The winch and bumper is a bolt on of course.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Thanks and it's on the way home - I wanted to stop in at pagosa anyway.

Bob has been keeping this Pinz for himself and says she's in A1 shape accept for the heater. Doesn't even really want to sell it. You see I am going to St Louis anyway and I thought if there was someone in Milwaukee who could look'er over for me just to give me a second opinion.

There are some others around, but he assured me this is one of the best there is. Definatley want a k model.

Again thanks for all the help so far...you guys and gals are great.

I love the old stuff. Have a 1988 Venture Royale morocycle too and they don't make'em anymore and there is a site for parts and help etc. I find these are the most friendly helping sites on the planet. One common goal is to enjoy them for what they are not what we need them to become. My Royale I have tried to keep stock and I want to do this with the Pinz too. Just not very mechanically inclined so I thought the Pertronix Ignitor would help with some issues too.

Jer Bear
andy

Post by andy »

You will love the Pinz. I sent you a pm. Welcome to one of the best websites/forums going.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Hi Jer, I would do just as 75pinz advised i have done just about ever up grade i can think of and regreted most of them. as far as cold war goes i'm not sure he is in operation any more. s.a.v sells the espar heater for around a thousand dallors. I beleave there is a pinz repair shop in Milwaukee. I think his web site is maybe by monday i have order from him a couple times but i can't remember his location. If you want i can look for his webpage and forward it to you. Scott at E.I. sells a nice winch bumper. when you get your pinz home most repair shops can preform repairs most will ask if you have a manual, so order that with the heater. If i had to do it all over again i would just change the fuilds and enjoy the ride. Erik Maybee
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

For info
On heaters the US div of Espar is appalling when it comes to Civi after sales service.

Up in Canada its a different kettel of fish. The office of Espar Canada in Montreal was very helpful in comparison the its lazy downright disinterested American counterparts who only have time for US Mil activities.

It was one of the principal reasons a long time ago that I signed up to be a Webasto agent. Scott at EI saw the light a while ago and has far as I can tell he now uses Webasto units for his customers. Unless they have changed their build, fault diagnosis is easier with the Webasto. You do need a factory accredited dealer to do the install to 'enjoy' all the warranty on the product. Stay away from obsolete crap on E bay the warranty for the mostpart is non existent if they fail. I have such a unit coming in this week mounted in a Ford F250.

Although we don't do so much work on Pinzgauers as we once did (many of my mechs refuse to work on Pinzies and Mogs due to customer attitude) the Webasto install on the other hand is well alive and kicking doing about one per week . We are about to be trained/accredited to install the Webasto APU (blue cool) equivalent for class 8 trucks. The only one in Denver by the way. I posted some details about it some time ago but for Pinz owners its of little interest. Those of you who like looking at passive energy usage check out the unit in a truck complete with the same air to air heater and coolant/engine heater unit.
www.BlueCoolTruck.com
Jer I suggest you call both the Webasto and Espar agents in the Yukon to see who gives the best service since you will probably need the unit more than those down here in more mild climes.
Best regards
Dennis
ps a Petronix conversion can be a valued conversion as most on this site will testify.D
OOOps no customer bashing now
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Your drive home of 3000 miles sounds like a great trip! I can see why it is a bit daunting as a first trip as I was nervous on the 32 mile home trip after buying my 710K a couple of years ago in Scotland.

From having done a 4500 Km trip this year I would carry at least 5 litre of engine oil, yours may not need any but I was using around a litre per 1000 km and nearly ran low. Check the dipstick after it has stood for a while otherwise you can't tell what the level is.

I carried (and still do) a few spares, it was a cut down version of a list of spares for an across Africa overland tour:

Part Number Item
901 4708 Ball joints - throttle
710 109 5230 points
710 106 0271 Fan belt
710 136 4432 Brake lines/hydrolic hose
902 1984 Plug (oil levels)
900 4230 Copper rings (for plugs)
710 107 0332 Oil Filter
710 109 0252 Spark Plugs
710 109 5242 Condenser
712 108 1072 Petrol Filter

I needed none of the above but now carry them always in the truck as on good advise they are the most needed parts on a road-side breakdown.

Check if you have the original Swiss Army tool kit (if it is ex Swiss Army) if not then you may need a few tools.

I wouldn't bother trying to balance anything until you know if its 'out of balance' the trucks will never run quiet although some are better than others (I've been really lucky with mine)

Even if you do get a new heater if you want to save heating fuel then shut the blackout screen behind the cab so the air heater is only heating the cab. The faster you go the colder it gets!!

Enjoy!!
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Congrats on your Pinz purchase!

There is an outfit about 20 minutes west of Madison, WI with good experience on the Pinz. They rebuilt my carbs, adjusted valves, etc. as well as a general tune-up. I'm very happy with them.

Helwig Auto Clinic LLC
www.helwigauto.com

3137 State Road 78
Mt Horeb, WI 53572
(608) 437-5112

Good luck with your trip.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jer, Don't forget the ear plugs :D
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

THanks for all your help I mean it.

I contacted the guys at Helwig Auto Clinic just to see if they could go over it and give me a heads up on it (waiting to hear back from them).

ALso I have contacted Dennis and he has somethings he can do for me (will probably ship the truck there after I get a report back from Steve at Helwig.

If it's all a go then I will keep you informed.

Thanks

Jer Bear
Heed

Post by Heed »

Jer,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on a purchase that you won't regret! You'll love your Pinz! No doubt it is the only one in the Yukon. Trust me...I get bombarded with questions here in the Toronto area!...there are only two here! Mine is a 710, and the other is a 712 that is parked and rotting away :cry:

The picture you described sounds idyllic...you wouldn't want to trade that for some Toronto smog, hustle and bustle, would you?.....hmmm...didn't think so...

Have a great New Year!

Bob
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!