10 MPG

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ScottishPinz
Great Britain

10 MPG

Post by ScottishPinz »

Just done a 250 mile round trip and averaged 10mpg!! Only thing I can think is the new tyres. Maybe I need to run higher pressure or is this something I can expect from an aggressive tread off-road tyre. Averaged 16 mpg with the Mayolas before.
landy

I got 14.5 mpg

Post by landy »

with fairly agressive tires on a long highway drive. What kind of fuel economy were you getting prior to the tire swap?
LibTimothy
United States of America

Post by LibTimothy »

I am only getting 10.8 MPG.

I have only owned mine since November and have only filled the tank 3 times so far. I did expect a better MPG, but so far it has been consistant. Of course I am assuming that the gas gague, odometer, and my math are all consistant. :)
When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

First off, what is the tire size that you've gone too? Though, only part of it, you need to take in the speedo correction for different size tires. If you are driving the same "speed" according to the speedometer, you would have more wind resistance working against you ( the frontal mass of the Pinz, isn't wind tunnel friendly :wink: ). The change in tire size also changes the "sweet spot" for engine rpm because you have effectively changed all your gear ratios. The road you're driving needs to be considered, going to larger tire in a area where you have a lot of flat roads, your mileage may go up, but with the same tires in a hilly terrain, your mileage may go down the comode, due to the engine working harder to maintain speed. The original 245s were considered the best overall size by SDP for the terrain that the Pinz were mainly going to (Switzerland, Austria.... can we say mountainous? :lol: ) Here in the US, there is a lot of flatland where rolling momentum will help taller tires.
And those people her ethat are content with the slower top speed of the Pinz will use 235/85 tires to keep in balance the power/ mileage aspect (particularly in mountainous areas)
Aggressive tires will also work against you on the road ( but hey, if one tire did everything, there would only be one tire made..... so you compromise)
Increasing tire pressure will help mileage a very little, but maintaining the "proper pressure" for the weight, braking and handling should be the first concern.

Then, it all could be that something mechanical took a crap, and this discussion is moot. :lol: But the info above is something everyone should consider when buying tires

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

Scottishpinz- are the circumferences of the tires the same? if not could be calclation error.
i expected near 15mpg with mine but have seen about 10 mpg consistantly an i did not notice change going from mayolas to trxus MTs and also with proper calculations think it was about same with 13 wide aggressive treed tires on ones on 10" wide wheels. i have figured i needed carbs rebuilt but held off since i'm going with Jake's EFI.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The new tyres are almost exactly the same circumfrance as the Mayolas they replaced (to a mm or 2) I have them at 44 psi front 40 psi rear, they feel right handling wise. The truck turned in a good 16+ mpg across Europe, my recent trip was similar mix of mostly 90 kph roads, bit of 60 kph back roads and a touch of forest tracks. Before the change of tyres the worst I had was 10 mpg and that was a whole day of off roading in sub zero conditions with the engine running all day even when stationary.
springhill

Post by springhill »

My 2 710's and the 712 only average about 10mpg on the ranch. They never get out on the hiway, so I don't know what the mpg would be.
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have a well tuned stock 1974 Pinzgauer 710M. It doesn't matter how I drive it on the street, I get 13 MPG- drive like hell or take it easy. Off the road, with the transaxle in low, the Pinz gets about 10 MPG, no matter what gear it is in or the overall speed. It seems you can crawl along offroad and get mileage that is not much less than what you get on the highway. The Austrians got it right, as far as I'm concerned.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys be carefull about comparing MPG figures on this side of the pond with those in the Hallowed Iles.

The US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon.

The US gallon is in fact the Queen Anne gallon universally adopted since the colonial periods, whereas the UK gallon is of Victorian decent. I believe this came about during the Industrial Revolution when there was a some friendly trans atlantic rivalry on whose was bigger!

Hence I can understand how Scottish Pinz can get 16mpg from his rig, but I have seen 15 mpg using US gallons. Food for thought perhaps?
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Well I get about 25 litres per 100 km?? :D :roll:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Peter
A liitle voice in my head told me you would chime in with Km/Litre.
Happy New Year mate
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
krick3tt

milage

Post by krick3tt »

I have gotten as much as 15-16 avg. on a long trip, (3300 miles) and as little as 10-11 around town and offroad. I usually figure 12 so I know how much gas to take on an outing of several days where I will be away from towns. It allows for an average of tailwinds and headwinds.
Pinz is as aerodynamic as a brick.
No matter what, I keep the petrol can in the holder in reserve so I have 20L, it is good for about 60 miles, more or less.

Morris
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

16 AVG @ 105 Km/H.. If I turn it up to 120 the MPG drops to 12.5 as Aero and mechanical drag take their toll..

Its hard to run less than 110 Km/H with my new set up, especially with 34" Swampers.
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com