Jerbearyukon

Synthetic oil in the Pinz

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Can you use it.
:?
Jer Bear
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jer Bear, I run Synthetic in mine, and have sense i have owned it. I run Red line in it now. but will probly go the Royal Purple on the next oil change. From what i have read the only down fall is that it is a good cleaner so if you have any worn areas covered in sluge after you run synthetic a couple of times you could develope leaks. I still do follow the pinz manual for change intervals.
Brickren
United States of America

lucas

Post by Brickren »

Hello. I plan on changing all gear lube on a 710. Would lucas be ok to us with dino oil? I'm not going the synthetic route because I don't want the leaks that come with. Also, The exhaust is directed strait back against the lower control arm and the rear inner boot is melted. How hard will the boot be to replace after I get exhaust turned out properly? AND, The heater ,I wanted to wrap the ducting in heat resistant insulating tape to improve the stock heater. Is this a good idea? The aux heater is a next year project. I get decent heat out of the defroster after several miles. I just need to get the heat to the feet better. I know about the air valve to direct heat to feet. Also, The heat blue lever- up or down? Thanks. Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The exhaust is directed strait back against the lower control arm and the rear inner boot is melted
Hi Brian, Boots are ease for the most part if you replace them with a split boot. from what i have read split boots are considered a timperary repair until you can have shop replace them. Next time I would start a need Topic for none topic related questions I have been lashed in the past for bringing up none topic questions.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Beware of synthetics, especially in the portal axles. If(and when) the axle seals leak, it will ruin your brake shoes as it cannot be washed out of the lining at all :shock: Synthetics are a very big waste of money in the Pinz.
This is based on component failure observations.
Also the Royal purple will give poor shift quality in cold weather :roll:
Dino oil is cheap and works just fine, $45 for 5 gallons at Napa will do the entire truck for a year(I do however use Redline MT90 in the trans ).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Heed

Post by Heed »

Brian,

After an intensive search, I was able to find GL4-rated gear lube. Pennzoil carries a 80W90 GL4 lube that they call "Gearplus". I was able to e-mail their head office and they directed me to a nearby shop that had some in stock. I have to hand it to their customer service...they went over and above! It's rare in this day and age!
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

especially in the portal axles. If(and when) the axle seals leak, it will ruin your brake shoes as it cannot be washed out of the lining at all
Just catch the leak before it gets to the brake pads :D I had two axle hubs leak two times with synthetics in all four times oil never touched the pad. :shock: If you check the weep holes on a daily bases you should be fine. The first leak i would blame me for over filling the hubs or the sythetic oil for cleaning. the second time i blame KOK seals the leak came from the back of the seal you could see it on the seal. I have sense changed out all my seals as service and still run synthetic oil. with no leaks. If things are warn out they should be replaced. I belive one of the pinz owners just got finished doing oil testing maybe he will chime in.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

This is based on component failure observations.
Jim is this do to the oil or the pinz owner failure to check levels on a regular basis and change fluids on regular itervals. Again Jim I am not tring to start any thing just tring to determine the route of the problem. I have run synthetics every time my mechanic opens it up to check the valves he commits on how clean every thing is and how there is very little sluge build up there. same was said about the portals.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I blame the lube, I have pulled apart 3 transmissions that had Purple Synthetic oil, and all 3 had severe gear damage wile the bearings were fine. This leads my conclusion that the Synth oil broke down or failed to maintain lubricity under pressure.
Just my obsevations, not divine by any means :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I Would say that is a good reason. :shock: I Guess i will rethink using royal purple. They have been talking so much about them on trucks and in petersen's off road. Trucks even Dyno tested it and reported a eight degres reduction in temp. I was thinking this would be great for the diffs.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

It's just with the severe cold up here I thought Synthetic would be easier on the motor as well as an oil pan heater. :?

jer bear
trscott

Check out AircooledTechnology tesing of oil...

Post by trscott »

For what it's worth you ought to read some of the stuff over at AircooledTechnology. I believe Jake is probably one of, if not the, world's expert on high performance aircooled engines. Most of his work has been done on very high performance VW Type 4 motors, but he also owns and has done a great deal of research on a Pinz.

You can read his lubrication forum here (you will need to request a registration, but well worth the trouble).

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/f ... y.php?f=47

Brad Penn is his favorite stuff, but he does some dyno comparisons.

He is particularly adamant that for this type of engine you need the ZP which has been reduced in many newer oils that are otherwise very good oils. But please don't take my word, go read his stuff and judge for yourself.

FWIW

Cheers!
Newberg, Oregon
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jer Bear, Man i don't know how you can stand it. What weight of oil are you planning on using? Jim what have you seen as far as synthetic oil related repairs, in the engine areas? Again i have been running Red Line in mine with no leaks. All though these days i have noticed i am using more oil. I think Its time for a 2.6L or 2.7L but that is for another topic.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I normally just use 5-30, but I thought the synthetic 5-30 might be easier on the starting that's all.

What a can of FRIGGIN worms though. I'm not looking for performance (heck look at the vehicle), but I want to do the best for it mechanically...that's all

Jer Bear
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

BUT, Do/can you use lucas additive?
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist