Heat duct

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Brickren
United States of America

Heat duct

Post by Brickren »

Hello. Has anyone used exhaust flex pipe for heater ducting? Both the small diameter and large diameter tubing? I think that it would be insulated more than the cloth flex tubing. Thank you. Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Haven't tried it because it in my humble opinion that would be much worse than cloth wrapped ducting. The steel would be an excellent conductor of heat. This would cool the heated air in it's travel to the front. If you were to insulate the flex exhaust pipe before you install it. That should make up for the conductivity of the steel pipe. I am running some flexible "plastic" pipe that Dennis got. It is about 1/8" thick stuff with a wire like a dryer duct. I'm running it from the heater box to the valve. It cost if memory serves about $2.00 per foot. I'll get more later and wrap it with duct tape or aluminized insulating wrap or something and run to the front. Check around, call around and see what you can get. Don't limit your search by what has been done.
Ken A

Post by Ken A »

Five years a go I needed to insulate the heater hose better like most of us in the colder states.

I decided to replace the old hose and insert the new hose in a slightly larger aluminum flex hose as a protective shield and insulator. (An air space is created between the smaller inner hose and the larger outer aluminum flex hose) I did not clamp the aluminum flex hose end because I wanted any water that got into the hose system to be able to drain/dry out.

It has worked very well as an insulator and the difference very noticeable.

Ken A.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Ken,
Sounds like a great idea! Do you recall where you found the aluminum flex hose?

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

What is exhaust flex pipe for heater ducting made up from ? does it have any asbestos in it. The problem cold be that it is not intended for the human environment.
Anthony
GB
Ken A

Post by Ken A »

pcolette wrote:Ken,
Sounds like a great idea! Do you recall where you found the aluminum flex hose?

Paul
Sorry Paul, it was too many projects ago.

If I didn’t get it from Home Depot then it came from McMaster Carr.

Sorry not a lot of help.

Ken
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Brian Double wall pipe would cut down a little bit on heat transfor. I like the idea of plastic pipe but would be worried about the melting point of it. John do you now what the melting point is? do you have a data sheet? Lowes carries a flex double wall pipe close to the same size http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none when i finally get around to installing my gas heater I plan on having stainless steel bent and insulated.
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

The product from McMaster Carr is:

53335 K13, 80mm Poly re-enforced rubber hose, metric, temp. -25 to 275 F.

The insulation jacket is 4463 K145, Un-slit foam rubber insulation, 3 1/8" ID.

I wrapped the ends close to heat source with aluminum tape and it works fine.
HTH
1975 710M
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Erik Maybee wrote:Lowes carries a flex double wall pipe close to the same size http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
The Lowe's vent you linked to is Class B vent for gas water heaters and furnaces and should handle the heat. I think its rated to about 350 degrees
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Any hardware store (worth a sh*t) should carry aluminum flexible dryer vent, probably available in both 3" and 4" sizes. At least around these parts.
Paul
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Have no data sheet for the plastic pipe. Has been on summer and winter now. I tend to push shifts in the mountains at max posted speeds on the console. Up and Down shifts at max speed for power in the mountains. I also run 104 kilos per hour for 5 or six hours from Denver to Grand Junction. So assume the heat rating is adequate for a Pinz. I have tried the aluminized duct/emission system ducting for the heat riser tube. It lasted about 3/4 of a year. The flexing of the engine killed it in one spot and rubbing around a radius wore thru in another.
Willard Foley

Post by Willard Foley »

Bricken, I noticed your location is NW PA, where are you located ? I just purchased a Pinz last week and I am located in NW PA as well.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Hi John, I think Kiwibrew post the data.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

http://www.selbyboatcentre.co.uk/chandl ... cts_id=143 I thought i might post this I have placed an order and will to see how it works.
Brickren
United States of America

Heat duct.

Post by Brickren »

That looks like the ticket. Wish I would have seen that a week ago. Let me know. I wont install my new tubing till I hear from ya. Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist