Issues with corrosion under new paint

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

jpipes

Issues with corrosion under new paint

Post by jpipes »

I have a question regarding corrosion that has occured twice after two full resprays of my Pinzgauer. I purchased my truck in April of 2006, had it stripped and repainted in milspec 100% flat desert paint, and after about 6 months corrosion began to appear in a number of areas on the truck. I had the truck serviced a few months ago during which issues with the original painting were found and the shop agreed to repaint the truck mostly on their dime (yeah, it's an awesome shop). All was well until recently, again, when corrosion has appeared in certain areas on the truck! I'm at a loss to understand why this should be.

Does anyone have any experience with corrision issues, repainting, and/or milspec style paint? Would this occuring (again) indicate a problem with my truck, the paint itself, or something else maybe? The paint I went with has proven to be very tempermental but also easy enough to paint over and touch up but I can't figure out why I would also be seeing corrission as well.

Granted the corrission is entirely surface based as the underbody and all the panels themselves are rust free and sound, but I assume if left unchecked this seemingly small issue will become bigger down the road.

Any thoughts?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I am not an expert on paint. However was it IRR paint that you used? I just have a feeling that this stuff is quite porous. I have it on a couple of my vehicles that is covered in IRR Paint and its texture is just like blotting paper. Allied to the fact that it has no top coat lacquer makes me wonder is it hygroscopic. Did you use an anti rust under coat or primer was the body prepped.

many poeple use Military look a like paint and not the genuine article perhaps these folk don't seem to have problems. I see you live in a fairly hot and dry part of the States
Anthony
GB
krick3tt

corrosion

Post by krick3tt »

Never thought of San Francisco as hot and dry, perhaps couldn't see it through the fog.

Morris
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Mine has similar surface corrosion (very slight) less than a year after repainting. Not sure about the paint being IRR but it was proper military stuff. I have sprayed the area with light oil until I can sort it properly.[/i]
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It should say on the Tin I think. If I can find an old tin as long as the wording is legible that is. Many outlets sell what they call military paint but it is often just ordinary paint without the gloss. Their was a time in GB when it would have been very difficult to get hold of. I know that mine was the genuine infra red reflective paint because it came from a military contract supplier for use on Brand new Prue delivery new military vehicles.
ScottishPinz wrote:Mine has similar surface corrosion (very slight) less than a year after repainting. Not sure about the paint being IRR but it was proper military stuff. I have sprayed the area with light oil until I can sort it properly.[/i]
Anthony
GB
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

In regards to corrosion coming through new paintwork, I found a lot of corrosion on the seams, overlaps and joins of the panels and ribs, when I rebuilt mine..... I guess it comes down to the fact that the top coat is only as good as the substrate!

The ammount of corrosion on the inside of the body ribbing was quite alarming (mainly due to the fact that the drainage holes were blocked) and there were pin-holes in the external panel sufaces due to the corrosion slowly eating it's way through.

For me at the time complete replacement was the preferred option, but rust neutralises/treatments and preventatives could have been used as a repair method!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com