gas heater safe?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinztx

gas heater safe?

Post by pinztx »

I am picking up a 1975 710k this week it has the gas heater behind drivers seat is this safe to use? New to all of this stuff help appreciated.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Oil Field Gate Attendants Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
Indian word for lousey hunter!
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

I had one in my K, but sold it as I didn't need the extra heat in So Cal. Before I sold it, I fired it up to see if it worked. It fired right up and put out a lot of heat. Now, to get to your answer. It runs of the same fuel line as your engine, so be aware that the safety issue may be running out of fuel. Otherwise, I think it would be fine while stationary, but if I were off road, I would worry about fuel spilling, but maybe I am just paranoid. Maybe someone will answer regarding use while driving.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

They say the heater is pretty powerful. I won't need it much but when I do I will really need it.

Thanks for the reply.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Cab heater

Post by ScottishPinz »

There has been a lot posted about the standard Eberspacher petrol cab heater. I think to sum up:
They are 30+ years old and if not working properly can be dangerous and cause a fire. They are not worth repairing.

However if in good working order, used while truck is stationary and with someone in attendance (Fire Extinguisher available) OK and provide plenty of heat if a little high on fuel consumption.

I have one in my K and it works fine, tend to use it while camping especially first thing in the morning to persuade my girlfriend its warm enough to get up!!
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

What could be used as a substitute?
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
grayroad

gsas heater substitute

Post by grayroad »

New Webasto gasoline heater. They are expensive but work great if you plan on having the truck awhile and on staying warm. I use mine under all conditions, driving on or off road etc.

Cory Gray
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I agree with grayroad - I have a webasto in mine that Dennis installed and it will stink you out of the pinz (great when you live here in the Yukon). He added some extra ducting too. I also have a remote for mine 8) so I can just start it from inside the house..let it get nice and warm and then go out to a nice warm truck and then start it and go...it's awesome :D :D

Jer BEar
Denis

Post by Denis »

Jer bear can you post a pic of your set up please.

I'm planning on doing something with mine but not sure yet.

I have used the old Eberspacher on and off road with good success.

Denis :D
goudacheese

Post by goudacheese »

I took out the gas heater and put in a 24 volt 30 Amp 840 Watt 2867 BTU aircraft heater and it works great for the rear passengers. I took out the table and put a bench with seat heating elements so now I can seat an additional 3 adults and the bench gets warm! The heater is bolted on the bottom of the bench in front of the air grill.

Your only limitation, is the creativity of your imagination!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Shawn, did you mean as a substitute heater? or a substitute for ScottishPinz to use to get his girlfriend up in the morning?

As everyone else here has answered the former, I can only assume that you might have meant the latter, and submit the following:

I have a gassy dalmatian. Works every day. It's pretty safe.

Sorry, it's been a long Easter..........

Paul
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I will post pics next week - we set it up so it puts heat to the front ot eh back - new ducting for front and tied into the original vent heater in the back. Works great :D .

I may modify it a bit so I can run the webasto through the original vents too, but I will have to check with Dennis before I do

Jer Bear
krick3tt

heater question

Post by krick3tt »

gouda, where did you find the aircraft heater?

Morris
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I put the Webasto heater in my 710M from Dennis last year. Works great, here is a pic of my install. I did not pull in freash air from the out side like in the 710K model. The truck leaks enough cool air already. Since this picture was taken I have added a 90 deg duct into the rear thru the panel wall. The back end gets nice and warm.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/ ... 150059.jpg

Scooter
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

Here is the web site for the aircraft heater.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12243648voin.html

Bob