Km/hours

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinztx

Km/hours

Post by pinztx »

I Just got my 710k. The odometer has 18000km on it and 210hr is this posable? This is a 1975 model.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Oil Field Gate Attendants Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
Indian word for lousey hunter!
andy

Post by andy »

Shawn, yes it is possible. That's 10,000 some odd miles. Switzerland ain't that big. Some of the trucks had/have high mileage, but for the most part the ones I've seen have been fairly low mileage for such "old" vehicles. The hour meter is some other thing on the radio trucks I don't know about, but there are a bunch of people here who can explain it, I'm sure.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

That blows my mind. I have had a F-350 for about 45 days and I have 10,000 mi on it and my pinz is 33 years old with 12,000 mi. on it.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
pinztx

Post by pinztx »

That blows my mind. I have had a F-350 for about 45 days and I have 10,000 mi on it and my pinz is 33 years old with 12,000 mi. on it.
Thank you,
Shawn Fluitt
Timekeepers Inc.
Tier One Security Inc.
210-413-0340
75 710k
Vegetarian:
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

The Swiss army works a bit like your National Guard (as far as my knowledge of the US military goes), or at least worked this way when the Pinzgauers were in use. People do 4 month of "recruit school" (= basic training) at 19 yrs old before being affected to a unit, and army units are being assembled every year for 2 or 3 weeks of training.

So basically, any army vehicle is issued to a unit for between 2 weeks and 4 months maximum, before being returned to an Army Vehicle Depot ("PAA" in swiss army abreviations, for those who still have the little yellow sticker on the windshield). The Swiss military had more than 10'000 Pinzes, the Depots where in charge of the rotation... and I am not sure they were doing such a great job at that... Thinking about it, back in an age without computers, optimizing the use of a 10'000+ vehicle fleet spread over at least 20 locations might not have been that easy by the way... :?

Add to this the fact that the actual number of people turning in for the yearly training was, I think, about 60% of the theoretical troop numbers for the units at best, for all sorts of good and less good reasons (so they were using less vehicles than planned for), and you can understand why some of the Swiss army vehicles were probably going out of their depot maybe just 2 weeks per year...

During that time span, they were not necessarily driven daily or for long distances and as mentionned by Andy, Switzerland ain't that big (only a bit bigger than Maryland :shock: ).

Anyway this is great for today's new owners that get a 30+ year old truck with low mileage :D

Regarding the hour meter, they were fitted in 710k models because one of the way to keep the batteries charged when using the radios in the back is to keep the engine running, so the actual engine use can end up being quite different from the miles / km on the meter.

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Hours can't be right as the truck would have had to averaged 85 kmph while in use, and is more likely being a K to have stood ideling for a while.