High flotation tires (just thinking)

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jerbearyukon

High flotation tires (just thinking)

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I'm thinking up here in the Yukon we have alot of muskeg and tundtra. Would be nice to have a set of tires that would mark up the landscape so much. It takes a long time up here to hide the scars on the mountains.

So has anyone tried this - I think you would have to get the wheel off a hay binder or something like that (be the cheapest way).

Saw the mattracks, but I think you will need power steering for sure with them

Jer
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

i have a set of 13.5 wide tires mounted on separate custom 10" wide wheels( had them bulit in Denver before i brought the Pinz north to save on shipping). turned out they were marginal for bolting on, if i was to do it again i would get original set and cut centers out to use on new wheels or locate some that are contoured like original wheel centers.any way you go...$$$$$$$
when they are on the truck acceleration is very slow. like my truxus mt alot better for daily driving. extra floation is nice but when you might need extra power it can be a problem.
here is picture with comparison of original tires and the bigger ones.
Image[/img]
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have an image of a Red Pinzgauer 718K using floatation tyres in the snow. I think it may be a surch and rescue vehicle possibly Iceland. Unfortunately iIdid not record where I took the image from. As it is on my files and not a www I do not think that I can post it.
Anthony
GB
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Anthony
I remember the pic, it was on the web, posted here a couple crashes ago.
Upload it from your machine to something like photobucket and post it here.... it's surprising how much of the 'older' TD pics are disappearing from the web..

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

high flotation tyres

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

The red icelandic pinz is parked in our back yard in Sheffield UK, awaiting restoration, the tyres are Gumbo Monster Mudders on 15" rims.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Is this what you're looking for :?: :?: :?:

Denis 8)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

[quote]it's surprising how much of the 'older' TD pics are disappearing from the web.. [/quote] Dave its not just a td thing i was going thru my pinz fav's the other day more than half are gone :x that is part of the reason i asked about c.u.v. its getting pretty sad. The pic is of a 712k looks like they cut the crap out of the fenders. pinzmeister-uk i hope you can fix her
Last edited by Erik712m on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Looks cool, but looks like axle or diff failure looking for a place to happen. I can't imagine the power loss too. :shock:
1973 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Erik
Most all the missing 710/12 pics were from past Pinz owners that have moved on to other endeavors. the overall quanitity of gas Pinz stuff has increased. What was sold by SDP during the 710/12 years were pretty much " cookie cutter", and larger variations were done by the factory to try and bolster sales on the TD platform. There are examples of AMBs built onto 5 door 718 platforms, and the door cutouts are made into storage boxes. I had thought of doing that to the Pink Cow early on, and adding the side dropping sides.

Dave

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Dave, I just figured most the stuff was after market. Did the factory have a book with options? Prof talks about a book as well does any one know were it can be bought?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Deep pockets don't need a book. After someones pays to make it once, it's a factory option. :roll:

I have a pamplet of factory offered options for Haflingers. And a partial list of options are on some of the TD brochure I have........ it's not like you walked into a corner SDP dealership and picked out your Pinz. :wink:...... now Haflingers might have been that way,,,, but the corner dealership could be a few hundred miles away, or more.... but, I'm sure Peter will pop in here soon....

Dave Dunn

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

[quote]I can't imagine the power loss too[/quote] todd i don't think its air cooled look at the roof looks like a radiator to me.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Prof talks about a book as well does any one know were it can be bought?
G'Day Erik, I have a book I purchased some years ago from an Austrian Bookshop http://www.motorbooks.at/ which many aficionado's consider the Steyr Puch Bible.

"Puch Automobile 1900 - 1990" covers the "goings on" at the factory during this time including details on Haflinger and Pinzgauer production that are little known to many.
The main drawback to this book is that it is written in Austrian/German..... but Bablefish translation has proved invaluable :wink:
but, I'm sure Peter will pop in here soon....
G'Day Dave, How goes it?
As Dave said the Haflinger was the epitome of "options" ....... Even the doors were optional extra's! :lol:
As regards the Pinzgauer, this was more like buying a conventional vehicle, but various options were available, such as those listed in the factory brochure of the 80's: "Pinzgauer - The Daredevil"

Power takeoff
Hydraulic system
Cable winch - Hydraulic or Electric
Reinforced bumper
Windscreen wiper rheostat and various guages
Reversing lamps
Luxury equipment for K models - carpet, sound absorption, fabric seats etc
Air Conditioning
Sand tyres (Michelin 7.50 X 16, X type S)
Integrated gas proof compartment
Load protection device
Roof carrier
Double roof with roof gallery
Tow hook 5 ton
Working table
Rifle holders
Jerry Can holders
125 L Fuel tank
Radio Console
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer