Boot replacement

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

eaweidner

Boot replacement

Post by eaweidner »

Greetings,
When conducting a routine truck inspection, I discovered that both front axle boots as well as the shifter boot are severely cracked and basically starting to disintegrate. I am assuming that it is due to the severe temperature fluctuations this winter. I changed the rear axle boots soon after taking delivery from Robert Crow at Ultimate 4x4s about 2 1/2 years ago and they look good for now. My question is: If I have these issues in an obvious place like the axle boot...should I be looking at other areas for rubber deterioration? What might be the 'problem' areas?
While on the subject of axle boots...is there a significant difference between the boot kits that are available? The ones that I replaced before were sent by Robert Crow as a follow up. Is any one place better to get them than another? I have generally dealt with Swiss Army Vehicles in Fayetteville, AR and am quite happy, but I just wanted to check out what others thought as far as suppliers go.
Thanks,
Eric Weidner
SE Iowa
1972 Pinzgauer 710 M
Hellfish Pinz
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Robert has closed his retail shop but I suspect he (robert@ultimate4x4.com) can still source these for you.

I do business with Thilo (mogsrus@gmail.com) and am very pleased with him as a resource.

The folks in Arkansas can probably share these parts up too.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

As long as you are using the one piece boot there should be little to no difference. The split type have several variations out there and really aren't worth the time or money to install. I just changed the last two that were on my 710 when I got it. They are only a year old according to the receipts I got from the previous owner. The splits are shredded and look to be 30years old.
Mike
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Does anyone know how long the OEM yellow one-piece boots normally last? I think spraying them with WD-40 or equivelant a couple times a year would lengthen the lifespan of the boot.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Don't know how long they are supposed to last but when I got my 712 41/2 yrs ago I put all new axle boots and seals on and have had no issues since. The few times I have put on the splits they only lasted a few months.
Mike
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

All three split boots that I installed (new) back in September have cracked and shredded. They lasted less than 7 months!
eaweidner

Post by eaweidner »

The rear boots that I already changed are the split type and I have had no issues with them. My main reason for asking about the boots is that, I see a quite a price difference between them and I don't want to assume that the most expensive is the best quality. Are these boots from many different suppliers? I am not sure I have what is needed to install the original type.
On a different note, after having issues with fuel starvation I drained my fuel tank and found a golf ball sized piece of shop rag that had been sucked about an inch into the pick up tube. Plucked it out with a needle nosed pliers. We'll see if I have the issue cleared up. I wonder what the strangest thing someone has found in their fuel tank?
Eric Weidner
SE Iowa
1972 Pinzgauer 710 M
Hellfish Pinz
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Eric
It appears that there were a few different suppiers of split boots. Some of them people have reported "good luck" with. I don't have the information as to who or where the less expensive ones come from. I don't even know what the current price of split boots are and don't care to know.

In reality if you have the original tool set, you have all that is needed to change the boots on the rear of a pinz. The front require some sort of quality spring compressor, usually available for rent from a local auto parts house. When doing the front springs removal/installation great care needs to be taken. Those springs can be real dangerous when compressed.

Bottom line on the boots is to keep them intact, whether you decide to do it with split or OEM. The wipe seal and axle cuff can get pricey to change because of the failure of something as simple as the boots.
Mike
eaweidner

Post by eaweidner »

Thanks for all the great advice! I think for now I will stick with the split boots due to ease of changing. I may change my mind in the future though!
Best regards,
Eric
Eric Weidner
SE Iowa
1972 Pinzgauer 710 M
Hellfish Pinz
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Eric,

I found that the split boots from SAV are very good quality, though they are pricey. Mine have been on over a year and still look great. I did use the appropriate Loctite Super Glue as directed to seal the seam together.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Original Steyr Puch boot

Post by ScottishPinz »

I replaced a split boot today. Used original Steyr Puch part.
http://bagstraining.co.uk/Pinzaxelboot.html