OH NO! Red Death!

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Having not experienced this yet,I would assume the flakes fall to the bottom of the tank,to be sucked up at the pick up tube. Thinking old school here,a glass bowl fuel filter like ones found on tractors,old cars,etc. They hold a LOT of stuff and can be dumped before the crud reaches the filter. Also would seperate water from the mix...Just my .04 cents worth (gotta keep up w/inflation)...
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

M Wehrman
you have not experienced yet because you don't drive your 710 much. The 712 has that fancy long range tank and no red death to be found there.

Glad you made it back OK. Don't forget meeting is Tuesday night.
Mike
buzzz

red death

Post by buzzz »

does anyone know of a product that will clean the tank of the red stufffff? If I can get it clean I will try the sealer from EI. I have talked to two chemical companys in the area with no luck.
ka

Post by ka »

mek dissolves everything. very deangerous stuff.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
buzzz

red death

Post by buzzz »

Thanks Ka I will try to locate some.

Buzzz
ka

Post by ka »

yikes! read up on it 1st.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Scottie
United States of America

MEK did not work for me.

Post by Scottie »

I tried acetone, turpentine, MEK, hydrochloric acid, Wal-Mart paint stripper and water (universal Solvent). All nice and controlled couple of red flakes in the bottom of each test tube and stoppers on the tops. Nothing I found dissolved it but The Paint stripper did seem to loosen it some. I have not tried aircraft stripper or Aqua Regina. Local radiator shop says that it will probably burn off but have not tried that one yet...My current beer keg is not intended to be a long term solution but it does work and I always like stainless!
buzzz

Red death

Post by buzzz »

M Wehrman I never thought of the glass sedement bowl. as soon as I read your post I went to NAPA and bought one and installed it. Just knew it would help but no such luck. I have a friend of a friend who ownes a chemical co. They wont touch a gas tank but may recomend a chemical. I hope to hear from him soon.

Buzzz